cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Taking care of you

People talk about self care but do you really take care of yourself, honestly? How many of us work until we burn out or push ourselves so hard and end up hurting ourselves or even stop to think, how am I doing? Many of us want to care for others and go out of our way to help other people but forget that we need to do the same for ourselves. I can definitely put my hand up for all of that, I sometimes don't think about myself and my well-being until its too late.

Self care is never easy especially in the world we live in today, things are faster and we all strive to be super man/woman and the pressure to be A+ students and be amazing at our jobs all the time and have a successful social life, it can all leave us drained and burnt out. If you are anything like me, you push yourself in everything you do, take on as many things as you can because you feel you can handle it and then just crash after a while.

Having poor self care can really affect your mental health and can do more harm than good not only to you but the people around you because being drained affects how you interact with people, how you view the world and how you cope with difficult times.  When you have great self care, you also need to be very self aware, when it's time to say no, stop and relax, how far you can push yourself and for how long.

So come join us this Monday at 8pm AEST because we will talk about the struggles you face with your self care, what you have learnt from your experiences and how we all can improve our self care so we can be better, stronger and more positive people.

In the meantime check out these factsheets and come prepared for an awesome night.
http://au.reachout.com/What-is-self-awareness
http://au.reachout.com/Building-better-coping-skills
http://au.reachout.com/Ways-to-relax

Re: [CHAT] Taking care of you

Hey, hey everyone! Hope you’re all well this evening!

Tonight’s Getting Real sesh is all about Self Care!! Annnnd  @ruenhonx  and I will be co-facilitating Smiley Very Happy

Looking after yourself is quite important, stress and negative vibes can easily take over and knowing how to take care of yourself is really helpful. For some people it's as easy as drawing a picture, for others, it may be talking it out with someone. 

This should be a really interesting and helpful chat, guys, so get amongst it!

As we want this session to run smoothly and safe for everyone please ensure to abide by the forum guidelines, If you feel upset or uncomfortable by any of the material there is an emergency help tab in the top right hand corner.

So, let’s get started!!

What does self care mean to you?

Hey everyone, Happy Monday. I am so excited for tonight Smiley Happy 

Self-care and I have a love/hate relationship, sometimes I forget to take care of myself but it means a lot to me because when I do take care of my self, my life, my attitude, my perspective is better, more positive and I am definitely a lot happier but sometimes its just hard to set aside time for that. 

Evening all! Smiley Happy

To me, self care means looking after myself (physically, emotionally, mentally, and socially) Smiley Happy

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

To me, self-care is about knowing your limits. Even though we can achieve so many things, there's no rush to do everything all at once! It's about knowing what works for you in keeping yourself calm (and carrying on) and when to relax to for some 'me' time. It's not about taking only one section of your life or just one aspect of yourself but all of you!

Welcome @DD, 

You're right about all the ways to lok after yourself! I've found that if one is suffering, the other's also suffer. (For example, if you are physically sick, you feel super drained mentally and socially) Do you find that?

Hey guys,
Haven't had a brilliant day, so I'm hoping I can get through tonight session, I've been looking forward to this! Smiley Happy

To me, self care means to take time out to relax away from the busy nature of life. Doing something to keep yourself in check and prevent burnout

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I agree @Myvo, its all about self-awareness and knowing when enough is enough.

Hey @Myvo !!

I agree, knowing your limits is a big part of it. It's okay to push them sometimes, but it's important not to get overwhelmed Smiley Happy

@Bee I hope you feel better by the end of this session Smiley Happy and you are so right, prevention is key when it comes to self-care.