cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

Australia, over the last 30 years has become one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. With more than 200 languages spoken every day and over 200 cultures, diversity is the highest it has ever been. For a lot of young people it can be an ongoing challenge to integrate the traditions and values of their cultural heritage into the Australian way of life. Particularly at a young age, it is often easier not to acknowledge our roots or expose our culture to others in order to fit in.

Growing up, I hid my culture. It made me feel shame. Simple things like having friends that were guys, not being allowed to go to parties or constantly having cultural events on the weekends became battles to fit in. It’s hard to manage the expectations of our parents, those of society AND in the midst of all that figure out what it is we want for ourselves.

GR1.png

As we get older we realise what an asset it is to understand, appreciate and acknowledge our roots. If we truly embrace all the positive things our culture has to offer can we really get the best of the both worlds? What do we have to compromise? Our culture is part of our identity, regardless of where it’s from or how much we know about it – won't it always be there? How do we embrace and maintain it? Do we even like it?

Acknowledging our own cultures has the potential to open our eyes to the cultures of others. Learning and enjoying other people’s cultures is a great way to learn new things and understand other people better. It allows us to create culturally sensitive communities, schools and workplaces. How can we ensure cultural inclusion? How does culture affect our expectations of others?

Join us from 8pm AEDT on Monday 14th December to talk about acknowledging our culture, embracing our differences and learning to get the best of both worlds.

Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

Hey everyone! 

Highlighted

Trelawney-Welcome.gif

Happy Monday Everyone! Welcome to tonight's GR session where we will be talking “The Best of Both Worlds - Embracing our Cultural Differences.” @tsynder and I will facilitating the discussion around acknowledging our culture and embracing our differences.

If you haven't already done so have a look at our community guidelines before you join in on the discussion. If at any point you feel you need some extra support, take a look at the emergency help resources which can be found in the top right corner of your page.

And to start off with our first question is.. (drumroll pleaseee)

1. What is culture and why is it important?

Highlighted

In my opinion culture is a broader lifestyle that we see ourselves as a part of, I really hope that makes sense! What do you all think? 

Also I think it is important because it influences how we see ourselves

Highlighted

Hey everyone! 

My first GR session here. Go easy on me if I get left behind Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hi @Ricky-RO! So good to have you here!

Highlighted

I reckon culture is a huge stack of things including law, beliefs, types of art and creative things, traditions, customs, food and sometimes a place where you either live or come from (but not always).

It's important because it's a way that we can feel like we belong, its a way of remembering the people who were our ancestors and it can be a pretty awesome place to start learning about what is imporant, even if sometimes we don't agree with everything. It's also generally a great way to discover delicious food.

The act of thinking about what you believe in and at least getting some pretty good suggestions on where to start in forming your own beliefs is a really valuable thing to have. Culture gives you that. I think and is a big reason why culture is important. 

Highlighted

Hey @Ricky-RO Good to see you dude! 

Highlighted

HAY @Ricky-RO Welcome Smiley Happy

I agree with @tsnyder in that is a lifestyle. How you're brought up and the values, beliefs and traditions that you were brought up with definitely influence your culture and the types of values/beliefs that you have when you're older.

I think culture can be a tricky one - everyone has it! What defines it is HOW it differs from others! Living in a multicultural country like we are so lucky to be, it can get a bit confusing as to what it really is because there are some things that I do that are the same as every other Aussie but then i'm restricted by the way I was brought up!

It's important because it shapes who we are and gives us insight into how other people are. The values and the beliefs that they have shape everything about them.

Highlighted

Wow @Ben-RO that is a thoughtful response! I loved how you covered such a range of facets!  I definitely agree with the belonging, and the learning, those are some awesome points!