cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

@Stealth_ninja

That definitely makes sense! I really like that concept of difference being a way to define culture, or your culture. That makes me wonder though, do we actually have cultural differences in Australia as a hugely multi-cultural society? Or is the fact that there are heaps of differences and that's just a thing in day to day life mean that it's actually our culture to have lots of cultures. I am definitely not sure if that makes sense hahaha. 

Highlighted

I agree with this Smiley Happy

I think of it as a collective identity of sorts. And there's different types - from organsiaitonal to between countires. 

Highlighted

So @Stealth_ninja it sounds like you're saying that there is a lot of cross-over between cultures, but what defines a culture is its unique features and differences?

Highlighted

@Ben-RO I think I get what you're saying - that Australia is so multicultural that what actually is Australian culture?
In my opinion, there is an Australian culture, and embracing multiculturalism is part of that culture - also cultures can change over time, so if someone asked the same question 100 years ago, multiculturalism probably wouldn't be something that came to mind. 

Highlighted

Yeah really great point @Ben-RO I think Australias culture is it's multicultural nature. It's something it's known for but I do think that a lot of other things come into play there. Your understanding of culture and how it differs from person to person is based on what you've been exposed to /are aware of. So some areas of Australia may be EXTREMELY diverse and others not at all. SO it isn't a culture of the country as a whole but more little pockets?

In my blog post I guess what I was addressing was more cultural heritage! What that means in the face of integration, belonging and understanding. 

Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Okay so after defining culture, next Q:

2. How do you celebrate your culture?

Highlighted

For me, it's the little things!  When I think of my culture I think of my grandma, so I drink a lot of tea, eat of a lot of simple food, try and help others where I can, and really appreciate the land I'm so lucky to live on!  Some of that may sound ridiculous haha but that's how I feel

Highlighted

hey everyone! im so excited for this chat given how much i've worked this year to find out about my own culture

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

In many different ways!! From music, dance, food, language, values and beliefs. I have found that a lot of the traditions don't appeal to me because in my world they dont serve a purpose for me personally. If i don't hold them currently they have definitely influenced how I see the world. 

It took me a long time to get comfortable with celebrating my culture but now I'm in a position where I can celebrate it with others that are interested in it, I can understand it's origin and it definitely plays into who I am as a person.

Highlighted

Hi @j95! Welcome! Can't wait to hear your opinion