Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

I love that @tsnyder! Some times it's the small things! Smiley Happy

And YAY JAY @j95 please tell us more!!
Highlighted

2. How do you celebrate your culture?

Well the cool thing about this chat is i have just decided my culture is to be multicultural and to enjoy that Smiley Tongue So i celebrate my culture by exploring the different cultures my society is made up of. I practice different activities that my friends show me and learn about them and i eat HEAPS of food from all over the world. I guess underneath that i also have a really traditional english culture which i guess some people would call Australian (although that ignores the fact that there was culture here for a long time before english people came here...).

I guess i don't really celebrate that culture much, although maybe it's partly that culture that defines the laws that i follow. The rest of it, like religion and expectations about having a family or a job i have kind of not really paid much attention too...

Highlighted

@Stealth_ninja yeah that's really interesting that some aspects don't work for you and you're able to pick and choose what parts to engage in and what parts not to.  I do the same (e.g. i don't go to church), but do you think that means that culture is more personal than in the past? 

Highlighted

I've noticed that some tourists have this idea of the 'aussie' which isn't accurate. Some actually think kangaroos and koalas are everywhere. A more accurate represetnation of aussie cluture is that it's quite a mixed bag 

Highlighted

@j95 Glad you are here! I was really hoping you would come and share some of things you have learned about your culture! Wooo

Highlighted

2. How do you celebrate your culture?

My parents were both born o`seas. growing up i unforuately had no interest in my heritage - my concern was to fit in with everyone else and be LEAST different as possible. In recent years, it's been about asking questions and exploring things that are different. Asking why and also google searches.

Of course, nothing beats travelling. 

Highlighted

Hey guys is it too late for me to join in?

Highlighted

Yeah i agree with that @Ricky-RO! We have a pretty weird and wonderful variety of things in our culture, and yet from the outside looking in it seems to be about beers, koala's and sunburn related activities. 

I am thinking that maybe we think like this about other people's cultures and have similar pretty simple views about what a culture is. Basically unless we spend a bit of time and actually talk to people who come from a different culture we'll assume the same thing about other cultures that people do about what it is to be australian. And if we do that, we probably miss out on a similarly huge pile of awesome stuff. 

Highlighted

Hi @hopethepiano, welcome! It's definitely not too late!   We were just up to asking how you celebrate your culture?

Highlighted

Of course not @hopethepianoin these sessions you can jump on and off whenever you like and as much as you like Smiley Happy