cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

2. How do you celebrate your culture?

I guess this is something I need to work on! One part of my culture is my indigenous background, which I love finding out about. I love finding out about my history and the lives my ancestors and past family members lived. I would love to celebrate this more by being part of groups in my community that come together and celebrate that part of them. Another part of my culture is the people I hang around with, the music I listen to and the area that I live in. I celebrate this by being active in all of those things, so I volunteer in my community, I go to local gigs.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

So many interesting things coming up here!

@Ben-RO What do you do for Christmas? Do you have a christmas lunch with your family? How do you celebrate easter? If you do partake in them in any way, these are part of your culture! I don't do anything for christmas or easter. When i was a kid, we used to have a tree and presents but I think my parents just did it so I wouldn't feel left out at school when everyone spoke about their christmas. 

In this way that english/american/western culture is integrated into Australian culture even if there are a group of people to which it isn't native. 

@tsnyder Yeah, I think in the past culture had a role. It was almost necessary for survival. Traditions all had a purpose and were very localised to the area that they came from. We didn't have the global awareness that we have now, we have this huge influx of knowledge and so much choice in what we believe but that also comes with a lot of inner conflict and feelings of isolation. AND most of these traditions, values systems and beleifs originated at a time when knowledge of science wasn't as much as it is now. It ensured harmony, inclusivity and a bunch of other positive things!

Highlighted

@Ben-RO I really dislike how Australian culture is currently being viewed as simplistic and almost dumb (e.g. illiterate, drinking, overconsumption of meat etc.). sorry that's off topic but thought I'd say it

Highlighted

but it did also cause wars :\

That's wonderful @j95, so cool that you have the opportunity to learn more about your heritage!
Being a part of community is wonderful and definitely contributes to building culture within it, kind of like the culture we have here on RO!

hey @hopethepiano never too late to join! Jump in!

Highlighted

How do I celebrate my culture?

This is something i definetly need to work on as my culture and religion get mixed up. Im a muslim and my parents were born in a place where they were also hardly any muslims (like 6% i think). When i go back o where my rents are from its hard coz i dont know theyre language. obviously i see my rellos but theyre a minority over there too They dont get discriminated against coz they atleast speak the language. If you get what i mean?

And coz Im muslim people here is Aus think im from a "muslim country" but im not from one. And people from my rents country dont know that theyre are muslims theyre. 

Leading me to go in circles. not sure if this makes sense?

Highlighted

Ahh that's a very good point @Stealth_ninja I will celebrate Christmas, although mostly to keep my family happy and as an excuse to get gifts Smiley Tongue Still, this is culture! Don't really celebrate easter, in fact i kind of avoid celebrating it as its part of my culture that i don't really like (long story lol)  

Highlighted

Hey @hopethepiano that makes sense i think Smiley Happy 

So i get the impression that your family has a culture that not a lot of other people have? And that a lot of people just assume you're a part of a much bigger culture that they have heard of? Does your family generally keep their culture to themselves and not share it a lot? Or are there other families and people where they do share their culture and where everyone understands? 

Highlighted

@hopethepiano it sounds like both here in Australia, and where your parents are from, you experience some hardships around cultural differences?  

Highlighted

@Stealth_ninja thats a really interesting point about Christmas. I celebrate Christmas a little bit now that I'm older, it was just another day in my house when I was kid but that wasn't influenced by my religion or cultural heritage.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Yeah! Well it's great that you have a choice @Ben-RO, maybe like @tsnyder said our culture is that we can choose?

Hey @hopethepiano thanks again for joining us! It seems like it would be really hard to navigate your cultural identity because there are a few barriers that limit you from learning more about them. Could you speak to your mum about it? Are there other people from a similar background in Australia that go through the same thing? Can you understand any of the lanaguge?

I feel the same when I go back to my parents originial country because the country itself has so many languages and I can only understand one, so my "mother tongue" and the language spoken where my grandparents live is different. 

It's definitely tricky to sometimes know what the difference is between your culture and your religion but the good thing is that it's an ongoing process of learning. I think I will always be figuring out what values and beliefs from my culture I agree with and what I dont. Sometimes I don't even know! and that's okay too!