cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The Best of Both Worlds – Embracing our Cultural Differences

@tsnyder Im actually seeing both right now. Im seeing the two polar oppsites people stereotyping and being discrriminative and other peopl sticking up for people and tring to tell everyone to stop spreding hate. 

The latter is what i Think we need to remember as Australians. 

And @Ben-RO its not something i could tell the police i dont really remember who they were or even what beach I was at. It was last summmer and i had been to the beach quite a few times. 

Highlighted

@j95  @hopethepiano I feel so ashamed when I hear about other Australians making these types of comments.  Some of my friends were complaining about having to have an indigenous round in the AFL, but I consider them kind people.  I don't understand why some people get so bothered by little things that don't even harm them

Highlighted

BONUS QUESTION, since it seems to be steering this way.

How can we embrace the culture of others?

Highlighted

I wonder what we can do about these problems? I think that a lot of it comes from ignorance, like people just don't know enough. Do you think that if we could just help people know more that would be enough to stop them thinking it's a good idea to do something horrible like spit at someone, or to say stupid things like "why do you get things for free"? 

@j95 

@hopethepiano

Highlighted

Hey guys sorry I am late! Got a little distracted this evening.

I agree @hopethepiano Australia should be about respect, looking out for others and being kind, not hateful Smiley Sad
Highlighted

@tsnyder indigenous round of the AFL is something I sometimes cop it about.
Ridiculous isn't it...
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

How can we embrace the culture of others?

I think it is good to keep an open mind, to look upon others' without trying to apply your own world view to their experience, and accepting offers from those outside of your own culture to experience their own customs and traditions. And inviting friends to do the same with you! That way you can learn and share.
Highlighted

3. How does religion influence culture and how is it different?

I say, the culture itself will determine if religion is a bit part right?

Highlighted

@Ben-RO I think it takes conscious effort and responding 'no' to potentially racist urges.  For example, the other day I walking to my car after training and I walked past a man with a turban and immediately and without thinking felt more hesitant and wary.  I realized I was feeling this way and actually had to tell myself that he is a person like myself and probably a kind and understanding one. 

Highlighted

@Stealth_ninja

Yeah theyre are other like me finding the same problems with people discriminating and being hateful towards them. 

And the thing is with me is i love things about my religion and i love some of the beutiful values that it brings. And I also love beong a Muslim Australian. I love smiling at random people and helping the elderly put theyre shoping away.