cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

@mischiefmanaged 

I completely agree! Once you use up the ten free sessions, it costs over $100 an hour to see a psycholgist.  And if you're still seeing them, it's usually on a regular basis.  I think they need to put funding in early awareness, to prevent it fromgetting this serious, and also help subsidise the costs.

Highlighted

What I liked about the infographic/report was the idea that we need to bring the mental health system more into the 21s century and reevaluate what is needed now because the requirements will forever be changing. 

It seems to me like sometimes there can be quite a lot of different services available but people might not have heard of them or don't know they are available to them. I just did a placement in a mental health setting through uni and found out about so many services I'd never even heard of (some that even my psychologist didn't know about!). What do other people think?

From the infographic (see the picture in the first post on page 1) is there anything that surprises you? If yes, what?

What surpised me was the amount of money and extra professionals need to meet the demand for mental health services in the future. It's definitely going to be a challenge (particularly with state and federal govt budget cuts).

Oh and there needs to be more help for FRIENDS!!! Speaking as someone who is helping my best friend through some pretty serious mental health issues, sometimes it feels like it is just me trying to hold her above water.  Friends of those with mental health issues also need support. 

Hey @butterfly Smiley Happy

Yes I agree, we would have to start with the youth, I think get young people interested in making changes to this.

@Boom yes! family and friends need help too!

@Boom I agree! This is important as sometimes, supporting someone with a mental health problem creates stress and negative emotions for the friend.

@delicatedreamer wrote:
It seems to me like sometimes there can be quite a lot of different services available but people might not have heard of them or don't know they are available to them. I just did a placement in a mental health setting through uni and found out about so many services I'd never even heard of (some that even my psychologist didn't know about!). What do other people think?

Definetly agree with this. I know I discover new ones from time to time too. More easy access to the services available would be helpful. 

I agree with that @Boom more services need to be available for carers and friends because its hard work.

I like the online 'depression and youth suicide prevention' forum where there is peer to peer support and resources available in a safe and monitored environment. I think it works extremely well as an early intervention. If our youth are struggling to open up to anyone, this is a great way to begin talking and to feel supported while in their full journey to recovery. It is a step they can begin from their own homes and as we know, a small step in the right direction is always a good one.