cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

8000+ professionals and $9 billion dollars is crazy. Is it doable? I am not so sure... At least if things stay the way they currently are...

If this is what is needed than the government needs to look at ways to get more people studying these options and make it more cost effective for them. For instance, what they did with nursing and teaching - they subsidised university costs to get more people studying it. Maybe that is going to need to happen with mental health courses (e.g. psychology, psychiatry, social work) as well?

But I also think we need to invest more in getting students doing actual clinical work early on. I have been studying psychology for the past 5 years (am now in 4th year) and we have done NOTHING practical. At my university (one of the biggest in Australia) they train psychologists to be researchers NOT to be professionals who treat the mentally ill. Researching is a vital part of psychology but maybe it would be more effective to let people choose in second year if they want to take the practical or the research route. Courses need to be redesigned to include more practical aspects to them so that more psychology students choose the practical avenues instead of the research avenue. That's just my opinion.

Highlighted

Where it says 8,000+ mental healths professionals are needed in the graphic, it would be interesting to see if there is a specific breakdown of what sorts of professionals are needed, because there is quite a diverse range of professionals that work in mental health (e.g. counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists, occupational therapists, doctors, dieticians...)

I am not really surprised by the number of people who aren't seekng help (so many are not aware of the services available, and some are diagnosed when it's too serious), but I am surprised by the lack of professionals provided.  

I had access to a few in my area, which is coastal country, so I assumed everywhere would be similar.  But to need that many is insane!  If funding were put into early intervention and prevention, and increasing awareness of services such as Reach Out and Beyond Blue, it would help mightily.  

With the picture - it feels like the magic words are EARLY INTERVENTION and everyone likes to throw them around but it never seems to happen.  We talk about early intervention with regards to mental and physical health all the time but no one ever seems to actually want to work out how early intervention looks in the real world.  There never seems to be much of a plan about what early intervention is or how it works etc.  Would be nice to see it in action!!!

@Boom wrote:

Oh and there needs to be more help for FRIENDS!!! Speaking as someone who is helping my best friend through some pretty serious mental health issues, sometimes it feels like it is just me trying to hold her above water.  Friends of those with mental health issues also need support. 

Ditto and yes. I have several close frineds with mental health issues and it would be nice if there was something out there for those who support them, not just for their their main carers (if they have them). 

I also agree... I think a 21st C mental health system needs to be streamlined... Have a "one-stop shop" website/ phoe app with all the available services that are in your area. It helps identify potential services that are close to you.

In saying that- online is certainly the way of the future.. 

Welcome @allyoop
Yes I agree with that talking about it is a good first step but the forums would have to be heavily monitored and this is where funding comes in.

This discussion is so important and really great to see people speaking up about this. 

What do you think we as young people should expect to receive from mental health professionals (in terms of care, information, time duration)?

I don't think 8000 professionals is substantial - so I think it's time to make mental health a priority and focus on early prevention to try and decrease that number of professionals needed. Smiley Happy

@delicatedreamer 

I agree.  Lots of people only think of psychologists or psychiatrists, which may be too full-on for them.  Knowing that there are other services and professionals for less intense sessions can be what makes people get help earlier.