cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

There are very many things I can see that could be improved - some are on a huge scale and others on an individual level. I'll try to list some out here, not necessarily in order of importance.

1. Earlier help/intervention/prevention. I talk to a lot of young people who have been badly hurt as young kids, often at home and by the time they get to their teens and early 20s, they are hurting very badly. We need an open discussion and lots of education about safety for kids, including in the community. We need a campaign like the 'Australia Says No' one that was done for domestic violence.

2. Education for kids from the beginning of school in resilience. How to cope when things go wrong in life, as they inevitably do. An understanding that life isn't supposed to be perfect, is seldom fair and that there will always be those better and worse off than ourselves, but we can be happy with who we are, no matter what.

3. For young people who are already affected by serious family issues, some kind of safety mentor program that links kids up with a stable adult they can turn to when they need someone to talk to or advocate for them. This would be in addition to any counselling or psych help that may also be needed.

4. Better access to online support. Many young people are uncomfortable with sitting face to face with a counsellor, have trouble physically going if they need an unwilling parent's assistance and may also struggle to speak either in person or on the phone. Provision of more professional online counselling as well as more ad-hoc services and a funnel to guide ad-hoc users into regular support where needed.

5. More casual services, eg forums like ReachOut, online groups such as Coming Together to Prevent Youth Suicide and other services that meet young people where they are.

6. Medical personnel to be trained in caring for young people who present with SH at emergency departments. Somoften I hear that SHers are treated awfully by staff saying things like 'you're wasting our time'. This is not acceptable from the medical staff, who should remember their commitment to 'first, do no harm'.

7. Police to have better training in dealing with young people at risk and access to more diversion programs to keep them out of the court system.

8. Even more community awareness and acceptance than mental health is a continuos scale and that we can all slide along it at different times in our lives. If people could talk openly about feelings, particularly suicidal feelings, then maybe our young people would feel more able to open up.

A young person should expect to feel respected and cared for when they visit a professional.  They should understand and be reassured about the confidentiality agreement so that they can feel free to discuss what is going on in their lives.  The professional should make the effort to have their patient feel like they are important

The help we receive varies.  From social workers and counsellors (I find), it's a lot less formal and the offer someone to talk to and sort problems out, while psychologists are for more intense feelings, and when you feel that you need more than just someone to talk to.  I think that having these different levels and formalities are important, as everyone is different, but that needs to be easier to access.

Time spent in these sessoins should vary from person to persn, as they need and feel comfortable with. I think that these sessions should include lots of information and help the person can find and seek themselves, and provide them with resources so they are able to help themselves when they feel like they need a hand.

I think professionals need to be more affordable.  Not everyone can afford to pay $120 an hour on a weekly or fortnightly basis, and cost can be something that prevents people seeking help, especially in youth.  What young adult has an extra $100 lying around to spend on counselling?

I agree with @Boom too. Having supported a friend with a serious mental health issue as a teen I believe that support for family, friends and carers is vital. Especially teenagers.

sometimes all you need is someone to listen and understand you.

And not judge you for what you are saying and how you are feeling 

Welcome @Silverdragon

Great points listed here and I most agree with the Police training. We need to have a strong justice system.

Awesome point, Boom!

What do you think we as young people should expect to receive from mental health professionals (in terms of care, information, time duration)?

I think we should expect to be respected and listened to and as much as possible be involved in determining every part of our treatment, we should get the pros and cons of things explained. I think in terms of time it's more tricky, but it would be nice to see a system where, whilst time frames for sessions/consultations would be needed they were also flexible depending on the individuals needs. 

I so agree about awareness. Being aware of what is available in the area you live as its a factor to early intervention. I live in a regional town of 40000 people and apart from the gps, hospitals small menatl health, councillors and private psychologists I have no what services are in my town.

I agree 100% @Caity1912

Some youth struggle to even put food on their table and honestly that 10session thing is just not enough, so yes price is a big one.

I also think time is an issue, some professionals just want to get people in and out as quickly as possible which impacts their performance.