cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

Health professionals should not assume that just because we are young we don't know anything. They should provide us with as much information as adults - yes, maybe written in a different way but not dumbed down so much that it makes everything seem so much more rosy than it really is. Serious mental illnesses exist, some of those show up in late teenage years, and it is vital that from the get go the young person knows what they are up against.
The young person should feel valued by the health professional - as if they are worth something, not just another patient with the same old problem. Clients should also be valued as individuals and given options - medication should not always be the first port of call for treating mental illness if there are other alternatives available. Let young people have a choice in their treatment don't just tell them what is happening.

I think that we as young people should expect confidentiality and advice from mental health professionals. I think that we should be able to access help for ourselves, friends and families.

I think young people can expect to be heard by MH professionals. To trust that the conversations are confidential. That the space is safe and you can be free to communicate your thoughts and feelings--- at the pace you feel comfortable. And to recieve treatment that is studied and proven to be effective!

Welcome @yettiwolf
Yes awareness is what is lacking in a lot of institutions and that is where we need to start to fix the mental health system.

What do you think we as young people should expect to receive from mental health professionals (in terms of care, information, time duration)?

In terms of care I think young people should expect respect, to be treated in a client-centred manner, not be rushed or pushed into things before they are ready, to have their privacy and confidentiality respected, for the professional working with them to be flexible and try different strategies and approaches, to be involved in the treatment (e.g. to have a voice and not just be told what to do) to be taken seriously and to be treated like adults. In terms of information young people need to be made aware of information about what they are experiencing, services available, the expertise of different professionals, different treatment options, funded treatment options and information about their rights. I don't know about time duration as that's very individual for each person.

What do you think we as young people should expect to receive from mental health professionals (in terms of care, information, time duration)?

As a young person, I expect to be treated with respect and have everything that I have spoken about to be kept confidential unless I'm in serious danger to myself or others. I expect that professionals will provide me with the skills required to tackle my mental health issues head on.

I also quite like it when the professionals act like they have all the time in the world to listen to you and support you even if they have quite a few appointments that day and are running substantially late.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Great discussion so far everyone! Keep the responses coming! Smiley Happy

How important is early intervention? Is there anything else than needs to be done in that space?

Thanks for the welcome.

Funding is important but not as much when you have committed and fully trained volunteers monitoring. We're talking peer to peer support online sites, not counselling sites. In a positive environment, this community can give vulnerable people a place to feel they can share their thoughts and feel a social connection with others that understand. It is extremely important to feel this validation. This is intervention and prevention and hopefully a choice to something more professional to help them in their struggles.

So important!!!!! There is certainly more that needs to be done with early intervention, as someone who is in Year 12 I can confidently say that the first time we discussed mental health in class was Year 9, by which point there were people in our grade who had been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and had engaged in self-harm.  Awareness and understanding needs to be built from a young age.  

Young people deserve to treat the as an adult client seeking information, support and help