cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

I think that early intervention is essential. I think that more funding needs to go into early intervention and self-help/self management strategies.

Highlighted

Intervention is so important.  Letting youths know what services are out there for them, and providing them with the tools they need to overcome everyday (and sometimes the more serious) obstacles could prevent a large percentage of mental illness.
Also teaching people to recognise the early signs can help.  If it's noticed early it can be mended much sooner than if identified months, or even years, after the problem arose.  

I agree @Boom I think people are scared to talk about that with children, parents should be sitting down with their kids and discussing this because I certainly never had anyone talk to me not until I was in Uni doing psych. Which is really sad.

How important is early intervention? Is there anything else than needs to be done in that space?

Early intervention is proven to be an effective way to minimise the duration and severity of symtpoms. Also, getting the correct diagnosis and treatment is important.

Although- more psychoeduation for families and friends can really benefit the community- recognising the symptoms of MH early and knowing what to do- who to turn to- what to expect is just as important. 

Super important.

We need to start teaching kids in primary school about the basics of a healthy mind as well as body - so as they go through school they can look out and after their buddies.

I think we need a big focus on young men still, we have come such a long way but I think that space and early intervention has a long long way to go.

How important is early intervention? Is there anything else than needs to be done in that space?

I think early intervention is extremely important because getting early intervention assists the person with their recovery by allowing them to seek help sooner. It is also a win-win for governments because sorting any health problem early (physical or mental) usually saves them money in the long term. The second question is a hard one. I'm not really sure I know what is needed from a service perspective, but I think that public education about mental health issues is key to early intervention. I think that the more people understand about mental health issues, their symptoms and the impact on people's lives and the importance of seeking help (and the options available) the more likely they will be to seek help sooner. Greater awareness might also encourage people to have a conversation with someone they think is struggling to support and encourage them to seek help sooner.

EDIT: I should have added, by public education I'm referring to public health advertisements in print, radio, online and TV, education segments on news programs (the project did a good one on anxiety last week) etc.

Early intervention is extremely important! The earlier a MH problem is picked up, the easier it is to treat and it is more cost effective. I think teachers should be trained to pick up on the early signs of a developing illness. Afterall, MH affects the young persons education the most and that is usually where one would see the slight changes.

Also letting people know where to go for help and that there is nothing to be ashamed of would be good as well. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I think reachout is going the right way about training teachers (through reachout pro) about how they can educate students about mental health. The Building Resilience in young people  ibook is a fantasic tool for this. I think there needs to be more of this type of thing.

I agree with everyone about more education on mental health in schools - it is so important to start from a young age. This will help with reducing stigma also hopefully.

So true about the teachers.  Nowdays teachers can often have more of an insight into the mental state of a young person than their parents.  It is crucial that they be able to recognise potential issues and assist the student to recieve help.