cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

I am loving the discussion everyone, filled with passion its amazing. So: 

Are there any barriers that prevent young people from seeking mental health support or that cause them to start then stop getting help?

Are there any barriers that prevent young people from seeking mental health support or that cause them to start then stop getting help?

The obvious one: they dont recognise there is a problem! .. When things get so bad, everything crashes down.. It is only THEN when we seek help. That needs to change.. 

Stigma, not 'clicking' with a professional or having a bad experience, and not wanting to try with someone else, financial constraints, physical access to services (location, transport etc.), not enough services available (e.g. hard to get in to see someone or can't get through online queues)...

The most obvious two are money and waiting lists!!

Highlighted

STIGMA. Stigma constantly gets in the way of young people seeking help. If seeking help for mental health problems was as readily accepted by peers as seeking help for diabetes or cancer, then we wouldn't need as many crisis services as people would access help much earlier thus preventing crisis situations from happening (sometimes).

Even now that I am 24, I find it very difficult being in an adult world and having a mental health problem. Stigma is absolutely ridiculous with mental health problems amongst all ages and I do not believe it is improving at all.

I think the big one is stigma.  Lots of people still associate seeing a doctor as meaning you're crazy.  This comes from being uneducated about mental illness.  Some may also see a doctor as too far of a step forward.  If they were made aware of the various online services (self-help or counselled), they might find it more appealing to seek help.

But also, some people might not want to see a doctor.  In small towns this can mean confessing things to someone who might know your parents or friends, and can be off-putting.  

Again, awareness is a key issue in identifying if you even need help.  Some assume the feelings they're going through are normal teenage angst, and may not find out until later that they don't have to feel like that.

Some potential barriers for young people would be having parents that think they are just going through a phase and that MH issues are not real. 
Having lack of support services and not knowing where to go to for help, especially if you are new to the area. Even having "friends" that say that your problems are not real because there are no physical symptoms, no physical tests to confirm you have an illness.

In short, the stigma that still surrounds MH.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I think sometimes people do not find a counsellor that they get along with, so they may begin to get help and the stop because there is no alternative counsellors in their town etc or system is so clogged up.

Also, people may be too scared because of the mental health stigma in their area.

Yes stigma is a big one which leads to denial. It's really sad because we are in the 21st century and we should be past that by now.

Also with the stigma theme - the lack of recognition that MH can be a 'silent' illness.  People don't recognise that someone can appear to 'have it all together' and 'be functioning' but still be broken and tormented inside.  There is a lack of understanding that a person with MH issues can appear normal, talk, laugh and interact.  The prevailing assumption is that someone with depression is withdrawn and doesn't talk.     While that may be true for some, it isn't for all.  Some of the people I know who have suffered from depression have appeared to be bubbly, life of the party type people but were dying from crushing depression and self-doubt on the inside.