cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

I agree that not clicking with your referred health professional would cause people to stop getting the help they need, especially if they don't know what to do about it, or if their first session was so intense, they never want to go back.

Not having someone to get them to their appointments would be another big thing, especially if they are having a particularly hard time and don't feel like leaving the house.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Well said @Boom 

Highlighted

So...there can be lots of barriers when it comes to getting help. On the flip side, if you were health minister for a day, and money wasn't an issue, what two things would you do to improve our current system?

Some really good points I hadn't thought of here. Great discussion Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Absolutely @stonepixie .. I was lucky that my first counsellor was absolutely amazing. I cant imagine where my journey would have gone if I was left with someone incompetent, or just someone I didnt click with..

I would gather this would be the case across the board. So important for young people to have a therapeutic alliance with their MH professionals. 

Highlighted

I would:

1) Make sure that everyone had cheap, accessible access to the professionals in their area and launch a campaign informing people of these services.  

2) Hold various campaigns and workshops to remove the stigma from the media and in general society.  

Highlighted

More awareness for R U OK? Day and the message that it sends in starting the conversation about MH.  So many people I know just wanted to be asked R U OK? so that they could talk.  We often back away from talking about MH to someone, thinking that we shouldn't pry, shouldn't ask questions but often that is what someone needs!!!  They need a person to reach out and say, I am here, I care.  

Highlighted

I would make mental health awareness part of the cirriculum just like SEX ED

andddd

Free mental health services for everyone

Highlighted

On the flip side, if you were health minister for a day, and money wasn't an issue, what two things would you do to improve our current system?

1. Have a bulk bill system for mental health services and professionals- where young people and those disadvantaged do not need to worry about the cost of care

2. Invest in psychoeducation in schools, community groups and families- to stop stigma on MH issues, and raise awareness.. 

Highlighted

@EloiseRose - free mental health services that would be so good.
1. Education at schools on a regular basis starting from primary age.
2. Education with teachers, police, parents and more awareness all across the board.