cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

That is definitely right, it needs to be done Smiley Happy I would vote for u too

@Caity1912 Haha.. Politics would kill me I think! Smiley Tongue 

Being optimistic here ...

In ten years time I hope that suicide rates drop significantly and dream that they would be non-existant due to early intervention which has lead to less servere MH illnesses. A place that advertises where one can get help in their local community. I dream that people aren't afraid to ask the hard questions about how their friends are going, that stigma would be non-existant and that people would listen without intent to reply so as they take in everything a person is telling them so as they can be of more help to them.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Unfortunately we've reached the end of tonight's Getting Real. Awesome discussion tonight everyone- loved hearing the different opinions and ideas! Was great to have you all join in! Smiley Happy

Here's a bit of a summary of what we discussed:

Some things we noted that we value about out mental health system includes the range of services available and that they are online and face-to-face. The medicare-subsidised or bulk billed psychologist sessions are also useful. Crisis intervention and also youth specific services are also getting increasingly better.

Most of us were surprised (by the stats on the Crossroads infographic (see page 1 of this discussion) that there would need to be such a high amount of extra professionals and such a large amount of money needed to sustain the mental health system and to provide people with the help they need. Funding was highlighted as something we really need to change as so many services out there rely on financial support to run.

We believe that we should expect to receive the following things from mental health professionals:
-respected, valued and cared for
-to be involved in planning of out treatment and given different options
-to have their info kept confidential
-advice and info provided about what they're going through, but also solutions or help available
-to move at a pace that works for them
-to feel safe and heard

*Early intervention is important as it can help people to be aware of the early symptoms and deal with them. It also allows for people to develop better coping strategies to try and prevent the issue(s) from getting worse.
*Help can be provided for everyday issues before they build up
*BUT we need to have more funding for it to make early intervention services better. We also need to consider starting mental health education earlier as early teens and even children struggle with mental health issues as well as youth and adults. *Awareness is important! We need to start young with education (by parents, teachers, public campaigns, etc) around mental health. And also make it less of a taboo area for males.

Barriers that prevent young people from getting help include:
-They don't realise there is an issue or that there's help available
-Stigma
-Not connecting with their health professional
-Financial, time or access restraints
-Waiting lists
-Options can be few in some rural places- stigma can also be an issue, especially since everyone knows everyone
-Parents and/or friends not being supportive

If you were the health minister for a day, and money was not an issue things we would do to improve our current system:
-Make getting help cheap or bulk billed and accessible
-Hold campaigns to raise awareness and reduce stigma
-Include mental health education on the curriculum
-Promote a holistic approach to mental health
-Give training to police, teachers, parents, etc about mental health issues
-Provide more care and support for those who are in recovery but also afterwards
-Ensure health professionals have appropriate training

Thinking about the Crossroads report and our current mental health system, if a friend approached us about how to get help we would suggest (although would vary depending on issue):
-Investigating whether Headspace could help them
-Reaching out to others whether that's friends, family, teachers, professionals, etc
-Looking at the services available online or by phone (kids help line, lifeline, eHeadspace, forums, ReachOut, Beyond Blue, etc.)
-Seeing their GP
-Going to a counsellor
-Keep trying different things/professionals until you find one that works for you

In ten years time, what should our mental health system look like?
-Cheaper services and more of them
- More accessible for everyone who needs it
-Early intervention being used effectively
-Lots of funding
-Less or no stigma
-Lots of awareness
-Education in schools
-Noone falling through the cracks
-Easy to find out the help options available

It would also be great if you could check out and share this Crossroads- share your vision for MH in the 21st Century with your family and friends and there's also a link to a short survey in case you want to share your futher opinions, or couldn't make tonight's session, about the Crossroads report and what we need from a 21st century mental health. 

@stonepixie we need optimistic people like you to make this a reality and I agree on suicide rates dropping.

Thank you all for joining us tonight, it has really been a great session. Goodnight lovely people and have a fabulous week Smiley Happy

@Perspicacious Join a party and get behind policy reforms. It's one way to get your voice heard without becoming a politician. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

YAY great chat. Good night everyone Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the tip @stonepixie .. I have never thought to join a party! Will look into it  Smiley Happy