cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

Agreed @Perspicacious ... I too was lucky to click with my first counsellor, although that wasn't until my second session. It had nothing to do with her, I just completely shut down during my first session. They picked up on this and told me if I didn't think it was working, I could just ask to see someone else at reception when I made my next appoitment. So glad that I didn't and decided to give them another go. I don't know where I would be without their continual help.

I am also fortunate enough to click really well with my GP.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@delicatedreamer Thanks for joining us! It's been great to hear your thoughts! Smiley Happy

Thinking about the Crossroads report and our current mental health system, if a friend approached about how to get help, what would you tell them?

It would depend on the problem. I think headspace is a good place to start- to suss out if their services are suitable for my friends needs. 

Sometimes help is just being a person who listens, sometimes help is referring someone onto a professional who can guide them through the problem! 

If it's just a tough time, and talking to friends doesn't help, either seek help online or just have a session or two with a counsellor; but if it's serious I encourage them to seek out a counsellor or GP and go from there.  Where I'm from, there is no shortage of mental health services, so I know that they can find something that will work for them.  

1. Make bulk billing more universal, even if it is just for the young, fraile and those that hold a hcc.

2. Work with the Eduction Minister to introduce MH awareness into the PD/H/PE curriculum

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Early intervention is important so I would start slow, Lifeline or Kids Helpline and then GP and then Counsellor and encourage them not to stop.

Thats great @stonepixie .. It's always nice to hear positive stories out there.. There seems to be less horror stories now!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here, but looking back on it I've come a long way.

I discovered RO after I was flicking through an Australian teen magazine (I think it was Girlfriend?) as a high student in my home country. I just moved back from Australia wasn't having a good time all throughout high school and was diagnosed with depression in Year 12. Coming from a developing country, there is not a lot of information available on mental health but RO factsheets definitely helped me get informed to finally work up the courage to see a psychiatrist.

Now I'm in my final year of undergrad Psych at an Australian university and I am keen to pursue a career in psychology. It was a bit hard re-establishing my mental health care plans when I started uni here but I was quite impressed at the amount of services available and was pretty impressed that the Australian government reimburses some services through medicare for their citizens. I also had the opportunity to learn about other peoples experiences in mental health here and while its not perfect, I like that Australians have a positive attitude towards building a better mental health care system! Smiley Happy

I think the main problem I am facing now is with immigration. Many international students (esp. in business or engineering) migrate to work in Australia after their studies, but for prospective psychologists you need to have a postgraduate degree. This is inefficient as entry to a postgraduate program is really difficult and there are other pathways to be accredited, such as doing a 2-year supervised internship after your undergraduate degree.

In an ideal world, I think prospective psychologists, counsellors and mental health workers should be able to gain the same immigration rights as engineers and accountants (who only need a bachelor's degree), especially when we all know there is a large need for mental health professionals Smiley Happy

Sorry about the slight rant!

@Perspicacious wrote:

Thats great @stonepixie .. It's always nice to hear positive stories out there.. There seems to be less horror stories now!

I think its those horror stories that keep people from seeking help. 

Welcome @tdagirim glad to have you back and joining us tonight Smiley Happy and wow I did not know that there were no equal immigration rights for MH workers. You learn something new everyday huh! Thank you Smiley Happy