cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

We have had a very passionate and amazing discussion tonight and we really appreciate your input everyone. Smiley Happy So for the last question tonight: In ten years time, what should our mental health system look like?

Absolutely @ruenhonx ... Which is why I think that YP telling their positive stories of getting help and treatment is far more effective than having an "authority figure" e.g. parent, teacher, media etc telling you to get help! I find this with school MH presentations I give- the students really connect and motivates people to ask if their friends are OK and to seek help!

Yes peer-to-peer help is more effective I agree with that.

In 10years - cheaper services, more services for every single group out there, more MH professionals, more funding and more education going out there on a regular basis.

I would reccommend that my friend should speak to their GP and depending upon their age, I would also reccommend that they pay a visit to their local headspace centre or even use eheadspace. If they were above the age of 25, I would suggest that they seek help at the medicare local mental health clinic.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I think it should be an open system with a large increase in online assistance, and much more emphasis on education and prevention.  It should be something that everyone is aware and informed of.  Hopefully more people working in the industry: trained and tested for commitment and competence.   
Oh, and education in schools both primary and secondary (teachers and students alike)

In ten years time, what should our mental health system look like?

1. One portal service to access a database of professionals F2F in your area- cities and rural areas

2. A sophisticated online counselling system- e-counselling, more online support services 24/7

3. A sophisticated telephone counselling service- so that 100% of calls to Lifeline and Kids Help get answered (minimum!)

4. A streamlined aftercare service for those out of hospitals- recovering from acute MH issues

5. A national psychoeducation program for all schools and available to the community and families. 

6. Affordable for all

In ten years time, what should our mental health system look like?

A place where everyone feels like they can get help- it should be affordable, accessible in some form or another for all Australians when they need it, early intervention and prevention being used effectively and mental health being accepted as something that people suffer from rather than who they are- stigma being a thing of the past- but also as something that can be managed and in a lot of cases overcome. 

A tad ambitious for 10 years- but it needs to be done! 

@Perspicacious 

I would vote for you for MH Minister ;-P