cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The future of getting help - what would you do?

@mischiefmanaged 

I totally agree... i wish there was a student rate or discount rate or something  out there to help those who cant always afford it

It's great to hear your thoughts on what works well. Smiley Happy Now, however we're going to move on to one on the reasons for tonight's discussion- the Crossroads report about the mental health system: 

From the infographic (see the picture in the first post on page 1) is there anything that surprises you? If yes, what? 

Its a really high rate of people that aren't getting help!! and when you talk in real numbers how many people that is its sad Smiley Sad

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

Oops. Sorry, I kind of didn't answer your question - that's just my frustration showing. Smiley Tongue

Haha, it's all good! Smiley Happy It's true there are some things that could definitely be improved. 

I think that online support is an excellent idea. It is great for those who don't know where to go or that live in remote communities with limited access to health services. But it is not for everyone. I personally like the face to face visits and agree that the 10 sessions subsidised by medicare is not enough.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I think what shocked me was how to fix this, 9 billion and 8000+ professionals in 15yrs. That is a long time and a lot of money and resources.

Welcome @stonepixie
I agree online support is very helpful especially for those who cannot access F2F thats why funding is so important.

Nothing really surprises me with the infographic.. I mean $9bil and 8800 more professionals in the next 15 years to double the amount of help for Australians is staggering... But it really highlights the need to streamline effective services for people in order to double the reach for people. Early intervention is defintely key. 

8000 plus professionals i reckon we could do as a nation (cause we are aussies and we like to help) ... but 9 billion dollars! thats a lot of money

I am surprised about the shortfall of 8800 mental health professionals, that's crazy!