cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] The sickness

Hello! Just joined the forum so I could contribute to this.

Both myself and some very close friends with mine have lived with illnesses which aren't often visible.

In response to question 2;
I find that living with an illness can change your life in a number of positive and negative ways. 
Positives being;
- you finding who really cares deeply for you, and developing stronger friends and family 
- you revaluating what is important in your life and finding basic things (getting out of bed, etc) although a challenge is also something to proud of 
- Developing an incredible treatment team who support your medical choices and help you get through everything

Negatively;
- Losing friends/family support due to the long time it takes to recover (or even the whole 'not recovering thing')
- Losing schooling/work/uni due to sickness
- Losing the ability to do spontaneous things due to never knowing if you will be healthy enough 

@ErinsAntics good point. sometimes an illness can show up unexpecdetly when we are trying new things... or it can just flare up at times when it feels like it.

how tough is that? means we need to have some good coping mechanisms in place i think....

lanejane

Shock, anger, jump to the worse possible conclusions (so many people Google their condition the moment they get their diagnosis which does nothing to help), self doubt (will I be able to get through this) and just general worry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

hey @cat12345 - YAY thanks for joining us on ReachOut. you've come at a great time because the getting real sessions are really active on a monday night and we all get together and chat.

what i love most about your answer is that you were able to spot the positives about having an illness too. which is SO true. it is not a completely negative thing. it does change your life, but it's not always for the worse. you do find out what is important to you and you can find out how many supportive people are in your life!

lanejane

Q3.

I think these emotions like sadness and worry may be a reaction to the unknown in a large part. And potentially even a reaction to the stigma of illness in general.

I see a pysch regulary for my anxiety and for my Dyspraxia I just remind myself that its not my fault and focus on what I can do. The surgery has fixed my speech but not my co-ordination and I am also on medication for my anxiety which really helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

I couldn't find a good video anyway so i posted the image about, but basically that, its a great way to explain what it's like to have chronic illness to a person who doesn't have one. You have a reduced amount of energy available for every day tasks. Spoons are an example of unit of measurement used to track how much energy a person has throughout a given day. You have only a certain amount each day. IE a sick person only has a certain amount of spoons each day. Each activity "costs" a certain number of spoons, which might not be replaced until the next day. A person who runs out of spoons loses the ability to do anything other than rest. One of the impacts of this is that people with illness must plan their activities to ensure that every day is manageable so they don't run out of spoons, while healthy people have a "never-ending supply of spoons" and thus never need to worry about running out.

Because healthy people do not feel the impact of spending spoons, they may not realize that chronically people's considerations include mundane tasks such as bathing and getting dressed

3.    What are common reactions when someone who has been diagnosed with an illness and why might they experience these reactions?

Anxiety and fear because you may not know what impact it will have on your life.
Relief because you now have a name for your illness and can 'hopefully' try and find a suitable treatment 

. What are some sort of illnesses people might suffer with?

Pysical illness
Mental illness
One of my best mates parents has kidney failure, pretty sad cause everyone knows what the outcome will be, its just a matter of when. :\
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

jumping to conclusions... so true. @ErinsAntics never even thought about that until just then. but something i often do!

i find out bad news and im like OMG MY LIFE IS GOING TO BE SHIT FOREVER.... but really, it's not!!!

it's just me freaking out and not thinking rationally.

lanejane