cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The sickness

hey @wooli3 awesome answer and welcome to our chat. i'm glad to meet you and have you here with us tonight! how are you finding the getting real session so far?

what do you think of everyones answers and stories?

lanejane

also just adding to my hidden illness comment... when people hear of mental illness they just think of the more common ones like depression or generalised anxiety disorder. there is so much more than people think.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

So following from some of the negative behaviours, 

6. What might be some healthier ways to manage a diagnosis or ongoing illness?

It's great that you know the negative coping strategies that you turn too @j95. It's just trying to stop is the hard part.

So true Jay!

The typical anxiety, stress and depression are what people think of first. Anger isn't as common.

@FootyFan26 exactly and when people find out about my ptsd they are like what is that???
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

true @FootyFan26 - the hard part is stopping.

but once you know you're in a heaps better position to make that decision to stop. and you can even plan ahead if you know what your negative coping mechanisms are.

We can all try some of these instead!

coping.jpg

lanejane

What might be some healthier ways to manage a diagnosis or ongoing illness?

• Acceptance
  • Writing down feelings
  • Venting
  • Meditation
  • Talking about it

Thanks @lanejane. It's comforting to read everyone's experiences, even though we're all dealing with different things.
Highlighted

these are some cool links from ReachOut about positive coping skills to in response to question 6!

http://au.reachout.com/what-is-coping

http://au.reachout.com/building-better-coping-skills

Some that I use personally is: exercising and talking to a friend or psychologist

lanejane