cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The sickness

I would try to make sure I'm controlling my facial expressions as there's nothing worse than receiving pity face from everyone. I would then try to be positive and find them some mentoring services where they can connect with people with the same condition/disease. I have multiple sclerosis and one of the most helpfu/productive things I did was attend some sessions at the MS society. It meant meeting other people with MS at different stages in life. It showed me that I could still have children, keep working, keep walking, get treatment and live a great life.

Q5.

I think the worst thing someone can do is reject support and help from friends and family. Although that's probably a lot easier said than done!

6. Despite how much we try to help our friends, sometimes they may pick up some bad behaviours as coping mechanisms. What are some negative coping mechanisms people might adopt when dealing with illness?
I have seen friends and me myself have picked up bad coping mechanisms initially to cope with my illness.
Some have been self harm, drug/alcohol abuse, isolating oneself, shutting people out.

nice response to the question @cat12345

lanejane

Despite how much we try to help our friends, sometimes they may pick up some bad behaviours as coping mechanisms. What are some negative coping mechanisms people might adopt when dealing with illness?

• Drugs
  • Alcohol
  • Smoking
  • Negativity
  • Violence
  • Anger
  • Isolation
  • Self harm

5. Despite how much we try to help our friends, sometimes they may pick up some bad behaviours as coping mechanisms. What are some negative coping mechanisms people might adopt when dealing with illness?

Some coping mechanisms for dealing with illness is withdrawing from friends or family... or maybe substance misuse. I know a few users also SH to cope.

These are negative coping mechanisms though because they can push people away, make you feel unsupported or might make your symptoms worse.

lanejane

your answers to this question are all spot on!

gold stars for all.

lanejane

Hey @wooli3 !

Welcome to ReachOut, it's great that you can share your experiences with us! The sessions at the MS society sounds great! 

Despite how much we try to help our friends, sometimes they may pick up some bad behaviours as coping mechanisms. What are some negative coping mechanisms people might adopt when dealing with illness?

Well for me...

Letting my anger in unsafe or negative way
Self harm
I've turned to drugs a couple of times.

Withdrawing from friends/things I enjoy

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Welcome @wooli3!