cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT]Throwing out Ken and Barbie: body image

I stand in the shopping isle, staring at the giant wall of magazines. My eyes skim over the various titles and pictures, but two celebrity gossip magazines catch my eye.

On the first, a picture of a sad, sick, emaciated starlet takes up most of the cover, under which is the headline “Getting thin too fast?” Less than five magazines to its right, I’m faced with the picture of a gorgeous, fully made up, flowing haired women in a bikini, flashing a mega-watt smile. The headline, in big bright letters, reads, “Get thin fast!” And I can’t help but think to myself…

What do you want from me?

Its no secret that a lot of us, especially young women, sometimes look to famous people for inspiration for how we want to look. However, when this goes past the occasional style advice, we can be faced with a pretty big problem. Constantly look at pictures of stars on the red carpet that are squeezed, plucked, painted, styled and airbrushed can make you think that looking like they do is normal or even expected. Not to mention everything else that goes on behind closed doors, like the nutritionist and chef they can afford to keep on staff to create hyper-healthy food and the trainer they can spend hours with each day in the gym. What no one tells us is that these people don’t even look like the pictures in magazines in real life; even they have the part of themselves that they would like to change.

Celebrity culture is just one of the many different aspects of everyday life that make a lot of us feel bad about the way we look, too many to list here. What’s important is for us to find a way to get past the negativity we’re taught about our looks, our bodies and the way we express ourselves. I think, as a team effort, achieving confidence in our self-image and ourselves overall doesn’t have to be impossible.

Come and have a chat with us about what you think about self-image and confidence on Monday May 19th at 8pm AEST. 

Re: [CHAT]Throwing out Ken and Barbie: body image

Hey everyone, welcome to tonights Getting Real session on self-image and confidence! Your facilitators for tonight's sesh will be @ruenhonx and @Chessca_H Smiley Happy

Just a quick piece of housekeeping, make sure that you've had a read through and stick to the community guidelines. If you feel like you need to talk with someone, please don't hestitate to use the emergency help.

Right, lets get this started!

What do the terms "negative" and "positive" mean in relation to body image?

Hello guys! I've finally remembered to join in! But I am also watching Criminal Minds so sorry if I drop off for a bit Smiley Happy

A negative body image is when someone sees their body image as something distasteful, something they don't want and would like to change.
A positive body image is when someone is happy with their body image.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hey lovely people Smiley Happy
Glad to have you @N1ghtW1ng and I agree with you I associate negative body image with low self esteem and positive body image with high self esteem and self efficacy

Hey @N1ghtW1ng , thanks for joining us! Glad to have you here (even if it is with Criminal minds Smiley Tongue).

What do you mean by finding it distasteful?

Hey everyone! It's awesome that we'll be talking about body image in tonight's G.R session Smiley Happy

Usually, I'd say that we associate "negative" body image with being unhappy and insecure about our physical appearance. "Positive body image" is in relation to feeling content about how we look and that there are healthy ways in maintaining that. 

@ruenhonx that's a good way of looking at it, with self esteem I mean.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@Chessca_H by distasteful I mean that it is something that someone doesn't like and doesn't want. Something that disgusts them. That's a perfect word!
Most people with a negative body image are disgusted with the way they look, with their body image.

Negative body image is when you don't like what you see, think of yourself as 'fat' or 'ugly' It is also when you compare your body to somebody else's.

Positive body image is when you are happy with the skin you're in, so to speak. It is accepting your body for what it is instead of what it is not.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ