cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]Throwing out Ken and Barbie: body image

How can you have a good body image when society's view on body image is so negative? 

I think being able to recognise when society is displaying negative body image is so important, Knowledge is power!

How can you have a good body image when society's view on body image is so negative? 

I think part of having a good body image is not caring what society thinks of you and being yourself.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

It's not going to be easy, but throw your magazines out the window (metaphorically). The media is going to continue to shove the "right" body image down your throat until you have no other choice to accept it. The way to beat that is to firstly accept who you are. If you want to loose some weight make sure it's because you want to for yourself, not so that you fit into society's rules. There is nothing wrong with wanting to loose weight if it's your choice just as there is nothing wrong with being happy with who you are, whatever size or shape.

Just, just be happy with who you are. Don't let society stop you from being happy. It's just a larger form of peer pressure.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Knowing your body's limits is one thing. I think that some people aren't able to tell just yet that you can't push your body so much - particularly to the point of destruction Smiley Sad Feeling encouraged and supported is can also help in having a good body image too. 

Knowledge is definitely power and being aware there is such a thing as photoshop and air brushing makes you see that the media wants us to see what we want to see.

I think one way we can have good body image is (as hard as this is to do) STOP COMPARING. We are all unique.

Hey @redhead !

Definitely agree, being yourself beats following society any day Smiley Happy

@N1ghtW1ng yay for metephorical magazine throwing! The media is a huge part of how we feel about ourselves if we let it be.

By telling yourself that you are unique and don't need to conform with the rest of society. Remind yourself that everyone has a different body build.

Remind yourself that as long as you are fit and healthy, it doesn't matter about your size. Your genetics determine your body shape, not the brutality of society. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie your point about fitness and size is SO important. So many people don't realise that thin doesn't always mean healthy and fat doesn't always mean unhealthy!

@N1ghtW1ng I read the first words of your post and I was like noooo!!! I love my trash TV/mags but I agree we should do so metaphorically and separate our real lives from the fakes ones we read and see.