cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[CHAT] We are Young...Let's Set the World on Fire

When I was 16, I wanted nothing more than to be 21 because I just felt like being young was a restriction and I wanted to do what I wanted, when I wanted and now that I am over 21 I want nothing more than to go back to being 16 again and really enjoy my teenage years. So many of us are in this race to be older, wiser, more independent that we forget to enjoy being young. Young people in this day and age have more opportunities and more challenges than previous generations and with social media and technology growing at a rapid pace, we are forced to adapt and grow with it. 

Looking back on previous generations, young people nowadays have the right to work, live independently, freedom of choice, travel, get an education and much more and some might say we are the first generation to have so many opportunities but with all the awesome experiences we might have we are also faced with a huge amount of pressure from the media, from schools, from our families, from our friends and from society in general. We are told that we are just children and expected to act like adults and because of this, some of us forget to enjoy being young because there are so many perks to being young. 

This GR Session, we want to stop just for a couple of hours and reflect on what it is like to be young because it is not always easy and we each face different challenges and pressures but there are also wonderful things about being young such as having more energy, learning new things, having less responsibilities and having more opportunities. 

So come join us this Monday (11th) at 8pm AEST so we can share our experiences and different perspectives on what it is like to be young and also what we can do to enjoy our youth more often. 

Here is some music to get you in the mood Smiley Happy

and have a read of this factsheet:

Re: [CHAT] We are Young...Let's Set the World on Fire

Happy Monday Everybody Smiley Happy

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session!!! Tonight SJR and I will be co-faciliating. We are discussing how amazing it is to be young and also what struggles we face in today's society. So its all about reflection and appreciation tonight. 

We would love to hear your opinions and stories on what its like being young for you and what you go through in your everyday life and also what you love about being young because we only live once and we are only young once. #YOLO 

As you all know, it is important to keep to the forum guidelines and have a read if you haven't already and if at any time you need to talk check the emergency tab at the top right.

So here we go

Any adult will say "These are the best days of our lives", why do you think they say this? Do you agree? 

Any adult will say "These are the best days of our lives", why do you think they say this? Do you agree?

Oh goodness...I feel like I've already passed 'being young' to some extent!  I know that when I was 16 I was a lot more care free and just rolled with life, then I do now (at 27).  When I was younger i seemed to just care a whole lot less of what people thought and I better at just being me.  But I know that's very different for a lot of people.

ALSO HEY GUYS! ! sheesh...haha kinda rude of me. Smiley Tongue

Hey guys!!! For me being young was and is still great for many reasons but one in particular is the lack of responsibility!! Love that feeling of having nothing to do!

Evening all Smiley Happy

I think they say this because you've got less responsibilities and you can be a bit, selfish I guess, and do what you want to do and spend money however you want without having to worry so much about having a professional full time job or family with kids etc...

Hey @_sagira_

I agree with that, being young I was also very care free and more forgiving I think. But that statement is definitely on an individual basis rather than a collective.

Hey @_sagira_ !! Glad to see you back, and i definitely know what you mean. Im nearly 23 and feel im going on 35 right now. I think im trying to relive a bit of my youth becuase i bought a skate board the other day hahaha

I think that they say that because we are at that age where we are old enough to do lots and lots of stuff and not have any responsibilities. Whilst in theory I agree with what is being said, in reality, if that was true for me than my future is very bleak. And I know that it isn't. And I know that the best is yet to come! 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey everyone,

One reason being young is the best time of our lives is because we do not have to worry about money. Our parents are the ones who pay the utility bills and for our education. So while we're young we don't have to worry about spending money on those needs. Rather we focus on spending money on the things we want to get, like a new smartphone or some trendy clothes.