cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] We can all have healthy relationships!

How do you know if you’re in a toxic relationship?

I think there are so many things that you can think and feel when you're in a toxic relationship. A couple that I have experienced have been:

- Feeling anxious when the person is talking/messaging you

- Constantly feeling angry at the person

- Not wanting to see the person

- Getting upset at the person for very small things that wouldn't upset you to the same extent if somebody else did them

You might feel like you have to change the other person to be happy which isn't healthy because no one can really change another person

I'm coming into this late but feel like i've come in at a really good time.

RE: How do you know if you’re in a toxic relationship?

When I was at school I was in the most toxic relationship. It was something I didn't really spot til everything felt like it was crashing down.

When I look back now, the signs were:

• Obsessive text messaging
  • Controlling  and manipulative attitudes
  • Cheating

These things might stand out - but when you really like someone it is so tough to see it!

lanejane

LOL what a convenient segue!!
Regarding my answer to the previous question, I realised when she didn't confront me about something she was angry about, and I found out through another friend. Also for a while leading up to it I would subconsciously avoid her unless it was absolutely necessary to see her. I guess I was just putting the problem off

great point @j95 

I'm the same, I think it's great to calm down so you can think clearly before confronting someone.

I get very passive aggressive and take jabs at people or I am more distant and make excuses not to see someone. I am more sad, I roll my eyes a lot. Unfortunately its very difficult for me to hide my facial expressions and normally people can tell something is wrong. 

Hey @lanejane

Thank you for coming Smiley Happy I agree with the cheating. TBH I cheated only to get the person to dump me because I was too scared to say I wanted out.

You may or may not get that gut feeling that something isn't right, I've had that in a previous romantic relationship and I wish I acted on it earlier, it became pretty toxic. I got manipulated and controlled. Being told who you can and can't hang around with, what music you should listen to, how to dress when going out with friends. Basically being told you don't fit their idea of perfect but that person trying to shape you into it, which never works, you can't change somebody. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@lanejane Manipulativeness became a feature of our friendship as well, even though there wasn't a romantic element to it. Maybe it's something that features in toxic relationships?

Hey @Jezz23 ! Welcome to our chat! 

Yup, when we really value our relationships, we'll do our best to understand, compromise, and be honest Smiley Happy Because we care Heart