cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] We can all have healthy relationships!

@Jezz23 

Talking to people face to face is tough, but you're right it's so important!

lanejane

How do you know if you’re in a toxic relationship?

I think if a relationship is making you feel really down, anxious, stressed and are feeling really bad about yourself that's probably a good indication I would think.

When the slightest conflict in my relationship makes me miserable and i'm unable to enjoy anything else! Also when I find that no matter how much I try to calmly discuss and work things through with someone, we keep continuing to argue about the same issues and never work them out. 

Hey @Jezz23
face to face is always a good idea, the amount of miscommunication on text, social media and on the phone makes the situation bigger.

@benjamin_ 

Yep - I think repeating issues that never seem to get resolved is a sign of a toxic relationship. It's hard though because when you care about someone you really want to keep trying. But when is enough enough?

Tough...

lanejane

I usually go by what i feel inside, in my body...

I don't see my relationships as 'toxic' if there are moments i feel uncomfortable, as usually that is because i haven't expressed my needs!!! I see my relationships, past and present, as dynamic entities.

I guess i can say though, toxix is: someone who constantly drains you and they never validate you or your opinions... it alwasy has to be their way... they gossip about you, break trust.

So @florenceforever , i beg to differ - but feeling uncomfortable when they talk/text you, to me is more a reflection of my own role in the interaaction. You see, i am more one for face to face, talking casually. I like the freedom to express myself without judgment - like i do for my friends.

Smiley Happy

Ohhhh yes @lanejane when is enough enough? I think people drain themselves because of that, like just one more chance and he will change... that is always the problem

Wow, all of you guys have so many ways of knowing when you're in a toxic relationship!

I'm feeling all the feels from your posts and experiences~

@safari93 Can relate to that too. It feels so crummy when you hear about someone's grudges through someone else

@Student94 I agree with that. You really can't force someone to change. Only they have the power to do that. 

@lanejane Yup, I've been in a relationship where manipulation and being controlling made me feel really crap. Unfortunately, it took me awhile to figure that out. 

I'll add my 2 cents: 

• Being incredibly dependent on the other person - I've had both an ex-boyfriend and a former friend who have been overly dependent on me. It sucks when they talk to me about their issues but when I'd hope that they'd do the same for me - I get this:

K. 

@ruenhonx YES! I personally don't like text and social media for those reasons!!! My closest friends deserve much more than that! It is so easy to misconstrue what you mean....

I have had this happen to me, and it has hurt me that I didn't have the opportunity to speak freely.
I really enjoy the particularly meaningful relationships I have!
Some of my friends bring out the best in me, even if that feels uncomfortable at times as we learn and grow and stretch to abandon our fears and negative internal voice....

Thank you..

@lanejane You could start a whole thread based on that question - when is enough enough?

I honestly don't tolerate much!