cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] What To Do When School Sucks

Whether you’re at high school, uni or tafe, I think we can all agree that school can be really, really stressful. Trying to get your head around the coursework, getting assignments done on time and worrying about tests all while trying to do your best can be an exercise in trying not to scream in frustration. This is all pretty normal stuff, but what happens when school goes from being a little stressful to being just plain sucky?

screaming

(Pictured: Me trying to finish an assignment)

There could be all number of reasons why the school experience might take a bad turn. Something might be going on at home, you could be experiencing bullying from a classmate, maybe you’re stuck in a class you hate with a terrible teacher. These are just a few examples, but regardless of what exactly is happening the effect it has for your mental health can be less than ideal. Trying to get through school when your mental health is suffering is hard, which isn’t helped by the fact that a lot of schools have no clue how to deal with struggling students.

Untitled.png 

My high school experience was no exception. When I was in year 12, as a result of a couple of years of tough family times, my mental health was in a bad place and my grades suffered for it. Instead of receiving support from my school, I was pulled out of class in the middle of the day to be yelled at by a staff member about my academic performance. Bad enough on its own but made about 100 times worse by it happening on my birthday. Yep. Not joking. My birthday.

Untitled 1.png 

I know I’m not alone in having this kind of experience and I also know that if I hadn’t had the support of my friends and family things could have been a lot worse. For some students, getting the right support from their school could make the difference between success and disaster. So what do schools need to do to better support their students and what can we do when that support isn’t there?

Want to find out about some answers to these questions? Join us on Monday the 11th April at 8pm AEST, where we’ll be having a chat about what to do when school sucks.

Re: [CHAT] What To Do When School Sucks

Hey guys, welcome to tonight's GR session! Tonight we're talking about those times when school ain't so great, whether it's your own experience on someone you know. 

As always, make sure you've had a look at the community guidelines before you jump in to the chat. Also, seeing as some of the stuff we're getting into tonight has the potential to get a little heavy, please check out our emergency help page if you start feeling distressed during the session.

Time to get started!

What is school like for you – do you love it? Hate it? Don’t feel very strongly about it? If you’re no longer at school, how did you find your schooling?

Greetings @safari93 @Chessca_H 

And just in case you want a reminder, here it is @redhead @j95 
And 
@N1ghtW1ng just because it's pretty much tradition that i remind you now Smiley Tongue 

Hey @Ben-RO (and the many people you tagged Smiley Tongue)!

Hey all!! Super pumped for tonight's topic!

What is school like for you – do you love it? Hate it? Don’t feel very strongly about it? If you’re no longer at school, how did you find your schooling?

Well I'm not at school anymore, but for me highschool and uni were very different. I was really apathetic in highschool (in hindsight, probably due to developing depression), while in uni I loved my course and was very committed to my studies. That being said, uni was difficult for a while because I developed another bout of depression all over again. Either way, even though I wasn't bad at schoolwork, I never really applied myself unless it was a subject I liked, and school itself was pretty meh

School had it's good moments and bad moments for me. Definitely up until year 10 i had more bad moments than good ones, then i changed schools and went to a way better one and it became heaps more awesome Smiley Happy 

Edit: living with pretty decent Anxiety definitely didn't help this!

Then i went to two different Uni's for two different degrees. so I guess that counts as school to, Uni was way better! 

Hey @safari93! I'm v jealous you don't have to deal with uni anymore Smiley Tongue

I identify a lot with your experience of highschool, I think it's a pretty common one. 

HEY EVERYONE 

sausagee

Highschool was pretty bad mostly for me, I went to a school which was really unsupportive of struggling students. While uni has been really stressful at points, it's definitely been a million times better than highschool.

HEEEEY @Stealth_ninja!