cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] What are little boys made of?

Gender is very complex and often confusing and frustrating to get around because it has real impacts in our society. I remember growing up, I had it constantly drilled into my head that I needed to “act like a girl” and what that meant was I needed to wake up early, I needed to clean the house and cook fantastic meals. I was being prepared to be wife and a mother from birth when all I wanted to do was sleep in and put my feet up and relax.

rolls

I’m sure we have all heard the saying “act like a woman” “act like a man” “you throw like a girl” and many more which put us into categories between male and female and also society determines what is a normal way for us to behave as males and females. We get told what toys we should play with, what we are supposed to be good at - women at cooking and men at maths, what sports we can play and what clothes, beauty, make up we can wear.

Unfortunately things are not always that simple and sometimes who we are becomes blurred into what society says we are. This can have a massive impact on our identities because let's be honest, there is a huge difference between sex (biological differences = Male or Female) and gender (social construct and performance = Masculine or Feminine).

Performing these gender roles can be so tiring, I know when my mother would say I needed to be more like a girl, I would pressure myself into waking up early, cleaning, cooking everyday basically being a mini-mum and wife in training that I didn’t listen to what I wanted and constantly felt guilty for not doing what was “right”. Who is to say what is wrong or right anyway?

Gender is about SELF, it is about you expressing yourself in whichever way you want to. So in this GR session we are going to talk about gender and explore and deconstruct these gender roles that society puts on us. We want to share ideas and find ways to cope with the identity struggles we may face in relation to these gender roles. 

crimethinc

So come and join us this Monday 9th March 2015 at 8pm right here!!!  

Watch this VIDEO on gender roles acted out. It is kinda funny Smiley Tongue

Re: [CHAT] What are little boys made of?

Hey guys, welcome to tonight’s Getting Real session! Tonight we’re going to be talking about all things gender, what it means to you, what society thinks it is and how it affects our experiences in our everyday lives.

blanket30fl-w800h800z1-38832-who-needs-gender-roles-when-we-can-have-pizza-rolls-blanket.jpg

This chat is gonna be facilitated by @ruenhonx and I and I really hope you enjoy it! Please remember to have a little look at the community guidlines if you haven't already and keep them in mind as you join in the chat. Also, if anything comes up for you during this sesh that makes you feel that you need to talk to someone please feel free to give our emergency help resources a go, which you can find on the top right hand corner of your page.

Lets get this show on the road with our first question Smiley Very Happy

Gender can be defined in so many ways and means a lot of different things to different people. What does your gender mean to you?

Hey wonderful people Happy Monday Smiley Happy

Gender can be defined in so many ways and means a lot of different things to different people. What does your gender mean to you?

This question always gets me, gender is so complex but what I know is my sex is separate to my gender and I think gender is defined by society and culture and stuff...

Found an awesoem video on this question just the other day! She talk about the many different definitions of how someone can be "ladylike"

Hey!! Looking forward to this chat... But I'm doing some trade school work so I might be in and out
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thats a really good point @ruenhonx , it's definitely a combonation of a lot of different things!

Oh, hey!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

As well as watching prisoner (lol) and eating dinner....

I have never really thought about it to be honest so I don't have answer to this yet
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey @j95, its alright if you're in and out Smiley Happy looking forward to having you with us!

Hello everyone Smiley Happy Very interesting and relevant topic, really looking forward to this discussion Smiley Happy

I must admit sometimes I feel pretty old-school about being a man, I feel like I need to be the provider, and I guess the protector of my family and friends, I'm not sure whether or not this comes from ingraining of masculine beliefs or whether it is related to my personal beliefs, but I would like to think it's the latter. But I definitely don't think gender is something that needs to define you in any way, but you should always focus on your strengths at the same time.