cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] What are little boys made of?

Gender can be defined in so many ways and means a lot of different things to different people. What does your gender mean to you?

I wrote a lengthy piece for a blog that dissected my struggle to reconcile my gender with my sense of self. My earliest memories concern me being told I wasn't a normal girl. My whole life I have been told again and again that I am an atypical girl and that has absolutely wreaked havoc on the way I see myself. I felt completely alienated from and by my gender. I didn't know how to relate to other girls because I believed that I didn't belong amongst them.

I'm still far from "healed", like its fifteen years of damage, but contemporary feminism has absolutely shown me that gender is so, so personal and I'm unbelievably grateful to have finally discovered this. But now I know that I can be a woman but also wear shorts and skate shoes. And not only is gender intimately personal it's complex and our understandings change with the way our cultures do. I think everyone's sense of gender changes in little ways constantly because of this. Not sure I answered the question but there you go!

I'm sad I'm not at home tonight because I'd loved to have had more opportunity to chat about this topic!!

Welcome @Dreamer95
Yes so very true gender comes in many forms. 100% agree with that

@Dreamer 95 Absolutely, got to remember that not all gender are cisgender and binary!

Hey @CeeGee
Welcome Smiley Happy
I agree gender is a very personal thing and yes it does change with time and experience. it is not always easy to define. Well I hope you can jump in and out when you can Smiley Happy

Did you feel much pressure growing up about gender? Where did you think it came from?

I used to think that I didn't, but now I'm noticing more how my 'un-feminine' behaviour was pointed out to me a lot. I was very active and somewhat rambunctious as a kid, and my parents would say things like 'Wow, she's more boisterous than a boy!!' or say that I was more of a tomboy than a girly-girl, and the pressure wasn't so direct. It was more just being told that I wasn't like a 'regular girl'

@CeeGee Wow, it sounds like you've had a pretty incredible jouney! I'm glad you're reaching a good place about how you express your gender Smiley Happy

Did you feel much pressure growing up about gender? Where did you think it came from?
I guess growing up the pressure was all very sublte, so subtle that you never really feel like there is an alternative. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I did a Billy Elliot, but I always sort of fell into masculine things anyway. I guess I did struggle a bit with coming to terms with the whole "men don't talk about feelings or cry" stereotype, that mostly came from my peers.

I remember when I started high school and I was super into sports (all sports and really competitive). As a female, I definitely copped a few comments about how it was wrong to beat the boys (this is pre-puberty haha) and didn't have many friends for a while because of it! It felt like competition and sweat were masculine things. Definitely got easier with age though, when you find friends that are more accepting.

I grew up in a house dominated by males and my dad was pretty adiment that he was was right when comes to who does what. So there was a lot of pressure to "do all the man stuff" while mum basically had to do what she was told by Dad
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@copse I got the same comments when I started on the swimming squad!! It was tough then but now no-one seems to mind too much