cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What do you believe?

aw, thanks for the greeting :} i mean i do understand why he said it not dont [ugh typos]

yeah, i 100 percent agree. however, im still a littler confused if what he said was exactly forcing his belief on me, because its a opinion.

what is your experience of religion/spirituality?

I went to a catholic school that had nun teachers which i think was pretty cool considering now days there arent many teaching in schools. I didnt really have that much of an involvement in that side of school. However over the last two years i have been involved by going to church on sundays and every now and then bible study. WHich has been a really great way for me to meet new people considering i moved states not very long ago.

My only moment that i thought what am i doing is when a very strong believer confronted me about a few things about my life that i didnt think she had the right too say like why i wasnt married to my boyfriend etc so that was really confronting for me maybe because we have never spoken about it but also it was such a personal thing i didnt think she had the right to ask questions like that 

Hey all! First post... couldn't resist!

For me I was brought up as a Catholic but spent a lot of my time at the local Anglician church, for convience. Had a goal to become a minister for year until around year 8, when I realised I was bisexual. When i started poking around the church, I realised it was very taboo.

I asked my brother, a Buddhist at the time, and decided that Buddhism was more suited for me. I have since done tonnes of soul searching and have been shaped by both religions as well as some new age stuff (courtesy of a hippie phase in year 10).

I have since met lots of LGBTI people and churches and consider myself a Christian with Buddhist tendancies 

what is your experience of religion/spirituality?
When I was a baby I was baptised. During primary school I did all that confirmation stuff and whatever it is. When I got older and more experienced I decided that I didn't want to follow in this religion but my nanne still forced my family to go to church at events like christmas and easter but I didn't want to, I took after my dad, he was an atheist.
The worst part is that my nanne said that she was disappointed in my for not believe that jesus was some messiah... Religion has not been a positive thing in my life.

What is your experience of religion/spirituality?

growing up ive had all my sacraments and went bible studies when i was younger. That was really important for me and i really appreciate all ive learnt and continue to 

wah, super slow typing too. thanks so much for the understanding and welcomes :} and yes eloiserose, thats what i was thinking! high fives to you ::}

my experience of spirtuality, as well as the experience i stated before, is with my family. they are buddists but not the really deep kind who got vegetarian, we still eat meat. they believe buddist and tell us to as well, like i believe he existed, but not really that hes a god in the sky, we visit temples and pray with incense and such,

my school also had religion classes if your parents wanted you to do it. i remeber when i was young, i always saw them giving gifts out so i joined in one of the classes ;D but i didnt get a gift lol.

@KDSyd
That is a really inspiring story!!
Im so glad you shared that tonight.
I also understand the 'taboo' nature of what you are saying about LGBT communities and it was almost the sole reason i didn't continue engaging in the church because the idea of not accepting LGBT invdiausls is counter to what they preach. but again thank you for sharing that

@KDSyd YAAY! Welcome to ReachOut! It's so awesome that you could join us during a Getting Real session, it's just so awesome!
It's so cool that you are happy with what you believe.

@EloiseRose I go to a catholic school too. Thankfully they aren't as forceful on the religion as other schools but some teachers are. It's great to know what you believe in. Robot Happy

Hey @KDSyd  thanks for joining growing up when religion conflicts your self it can be hard thankfully you were able to find faith in something that works for you

@N1ghtW1ng
sorry that it has been a conflictual topic in your family- its really good for others that you are sharing this with everyone.