cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What do you believe?

Some interesting q's and responses in here!

I was brought up in a Catholic school, while being somewhat agnostic or Buddhist leaning which lead to some interesting scenarios. My school was great in that the teachers and brothers never pushed any doctrine.

Although I never felt directly threatened I did feel pressured when I, out of the majority of my school and friends, would sit out confessions, mass and different other events.

Whether a believer or non-believer have you ever found yourself in a situation where your values are being threatened? 

All the time! As someone who has a keen interest in science, I find that many scientists take an anti-God perspective with little foundation beyond "we can't prove it therefore it cannot be"... I do not believe that the existance of a higher power, regardless of whether or not it's true, changes scientific discovery dramatically or at all, really. 

Why can't our scientific knowledge of the universe be knowledge of the things a higher power created? Never understand it.

There is also a huge anti-religion trend on Twitter.

As a person who believes in left-wing politics and socially progressive policy, I feel my Christian beliefs fit in nicely with those values.

@Rain great suggestion... ! sorry to hear it was shut down as "witchcraft"

Hey Guys, Sorry I'm late @N1ghtW1ng reminded me!
I'm going to post my answers as I go along this week, so no epic catch up this week Smiley Tongue sorry

What does religion mean to me?
At the moment I'm not sure what religion means to me.

What is your experience of religion/spirituality?
I grew up with religious mum, I never knew of my dad's religion until the last 12-18 months...Although it's never really struck a strong chord with me. I do believe basic principals of the religion I was brought up with. And I believe in god ect, but it's not strong that I praise to everyone. Also the church we went to always ignored me as I was outshined by two girls of a similar age. Who eventually both moved...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

welcome @michine  thanks for joining the convo. its really good that your teachers never pushed people into a particular religious belief

thats ok @Bee  thanks for joining.

@KDSyd  a twitter trend thats interesting 

no worries @Bee  thanks for coming along please do share your experiences whilst growing up

@N1ghtW1ng yes I baptised too, then confirmed in 09, and I am kinda of similar in saying religion isn't a positive thing, but for me its more half and half. Some bits ARE positive, but some are NEGATIVE. ALso SO MANY MEMORIES. Which can really hurt me too!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

NEXT UP!!!!!!! Smiley Happy 

Have you ever felt religion has been pressured on you?

Being bisexual I definitely have had trouble coming to terms with this... Especially because I have always been pretty spiritual into Christianity / raised Catholic. Eventually you just come to the realisation you can't 'pray away the gay' and accepting your feelings is the only way to keep on living, whatever sin that is.