cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] White Ribbon Day & healthy relationships

On Monday, @Chessca_H and @KitKat will be facilitating Getting Real. In honour of White Ribbon day we will chat about the things that we can all do to prevent violence against women - the conversations at school at the pub or on the bus!

We'll answer questions like - what make a relationship healthy? Whats unhealthy? What are the an early warning signs that people can look out for...

Description coming soon....

WR

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: [CHAT] White Ribbon Day & healthy relaiontships

Trigger Warning: This is a heavy, confronting topic. Remember to look after your wellbeing!

Our world is filled with women. We have sisters, mothers, grandmothers and aunts. We have female teachers, female cashiers at Woolworths, female celebrities, female scientists, female doctors. We have female friends, female lovers and female frenemies. You might be female yourself – I am. Think about all of the women that you know and then think about this: 

stats.png

Information taken from ANROWS.org

In all honesty, I find these statistics incredibly disturbing as stand-alone figures. The situation only becomes more distressing when we must consider that much of this violence occurs in the context of relationships. It is often not strangers committing these terrible acts, but rather loved ones.

When we discuss these unhealthy relationships and violence against women, we must remember that violence no longer refers simply to physical acts. As a nation, we now also recognise the dreadful and long-lasting impact of emotional abuse – intimidation, manipulation and controlling behaviour. The blaming, the shaming, the fear, the humiliation, the domination.

Of all the women in the survey who had been victims of violence, 58% of them had never contacted the police despite a majority of them experiencing violence more than once. Perhaps even more frightening, 24% of these women never told anybody what they were suffering in their unhealthy relationships. The violence they experienced has likely remained unspoken of, unrecorded and unpunished.

In honour of White Ribbon Day, come join us on Monday the 24th of November, 8pm, where we will be raising our voices about the issue of violence against women.  Together we’ll not only be learning about healthy and unhealthy relationships and how to identify early warning signs, but also how we can best support these women going through this dreadful ordeal.

If you or anyone you know are experiencing violence your relationships or general life, please consider seeking help. You can find a comprehensive list of support services (national and by state) here.

Hey everyone, welcome to tonight’s Getting Real Session! Today, in honour of White Ribbon day, we’re going to be talking about violence against women and what we can do to stop it from happening.

Stress warning: tonight we're going to be making every effort to make this discussion as safe as possible, but if you have been affected by abuse in any form then please be aware that tonight's discussion might bring up unexpected emotions. We're focusing on prevention and solutions but take care of yourself as only you know best. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, one option is to log out and start a chat with 1800RESPECT who provide advice, counselling and support to anyone affected by abuse in Australia.

As usual, please do have a look at and keep in mind the community guidelines – particularly for tonight’s session keep in mind that we’re not a crisis or counselling service and that we’ll be focusing on prevention and solutions during tonight’s discussion. Please avoid descriptions of abusive situations and keep yourself anonymous, but if you feel like you need to take about detail I again encourage you to get in touch with a service like 1800RESPECT.

Time for the first question!

One of the first ways we can help to combat the issue of violence against women is to teach everyone from a young age about what makes up a healthy relationship. Did you ever get taught about this, and if so who from? (School, uni, friend, parent, your own research etc)

I think the main person who taught me about what makes a healthy relationship was my mum. She always taught me that I deserve to be treated with respect and to treat others the same way Smiley Happy

Yay! Let's kick things off! 

One of the first ways we can help to combat the issue of violence against women is to teach everyone from a young age about what makes up a healthy relationship. Did you ever get taught about this, and if so who from? (School, uni, friend, parent, your own research etc).

I always felt like I learn about the issue of violence against women really late in life. In my first year of university (I started off studying policing) they had the local police come in and  talk about, particularly about unhealthy relationships. The stories they shared really blew my mind. I definitely wish I had learnt more about it in school though.

@Chessca_H Now that you mention it, my mum was a pretty big influence too! She always told me about the importance about speaking up if something is not okay, or you don't like the way you're being treated

Hi all! Well I think for me I didn't really start learning about the concept of a healthy relationship until university... I wish I learned earlier though... so many high school relationships could do with some better communication, trust and most importantly respect! The foundations of a healthy relationship!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@KitKat I definitely relate to learning about unhealthy relationships later in life, it wasn't something that really crossed my mind all that much until I started learning more about it when I went to uni

Yes that's true - strong and positive role models are important. Even if they might not use the words "healthy relationship"

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey everyone! I might be coming and going tonight depending on how I get. I am a DV survivour.

One of the first ways we can help to combat the issue of violence against women is to teach everyone from a young age about what makes up a healthy relationship. Did you ever get taught about this, and if so who from? (School, uni, friend, parent, your own research etc)

I remember being taught about physically abusive relationships and such but was never really taught what makes a relationship unhealthy when it comes to emotional abuse. I was also taught that sexual assault is the result of an unknown attacker. Never was I taught about cohesion or any other form.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ