cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] White Ribbon Day & healthy relaiontships

@Sophie-RO Awesome graphic!

For me healthy relationships are a lot about respect and trust, and it has to go both ways. My partner has to be respectful and trusting towards me, but I also have to respect and trust them. 

@stonepixie I really like that you added "takes you seriously". I think that's such a cool thing about relationships

Hey @stonepixie - it's really common for people to not realise what they went through/are going through is abuse.... Hope the acknowledgement will help you move forward...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO I just found the 'power and control wheel' on pinterest.

Don't worry @KitKat it wasn't your fault. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@redhead They're all really good. I love openess! Open lines of communication are so important in relationships.

Thanks everyone for sharing all your ideas about healthy relationships! It's great that we all have an idea about what we deserve and I think it's really cool that a lot of us have learnt about it  from our family, friends and community. And that leads us to question number three!

It seems like issuses like healthy / unhealthy relationships should be taught in sex-ed!  How else can we make sure we all see examples of healthy relationships and learn about them throughout our lives?

@Sophie-RO it has definitely helped. It explains a lot, which makes it easier to process things.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

It seems like issuses like healthy / unhealthy relationships should be taught in sex-ed!  How else can we make sure we all see examples of healthy relationships and learn about them throughout our lives?

I think parents need to take a big role in teaching kids what makes up a healthy relationship, both by talking about it and treating one another well. Abuse and unhealthy behaviour can be so taboo to talk about, it would be great if we could take that out of the conversation Smiley Happy

@stonepixie it's great that you're finding ways to deal with what happened to you, I hope you're getting a lot of support in that Smiley Happy

There could be books. Not too long ago I found a book series that has been around for yonks. It explains a lot of emotions in simplified words for young kids. I was just reading it at the book shop and was like 'Yep, that is depression' or 'That is totally social anxiety' and all this other stuff. Basically I found things that I could relate to in them.

Kids tv shows and movies should also explore these things.

How else can we make sure we all see examples of healthy relationships and learn about them throughout our lives?

- I think the media has a huge role to play - in journalism and in movie & TV production.... Show us examples of healthy relationships and stop buying into myths and stereotypes.

- Families! Teach young people what they should expect in relationships in terms of respect, equality and trust...

- Schools, unis etc...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Chessca_H I definitely think parents need to take a big role in teaching kids about what makes a relationship healthy. At one point or another parents are our role-models in lives.

I'd love to see someone teach parents and adults too! I definitely would love some more community action going on for all ages, that's such a great place to learn. I think it was @redhead said their church helped a lot and I thought that was really cool.