cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] White Ribbon Day & healthy relaiontships

it's awful that you had to go through that @blithe , but it's great that you've found the positive in learning from it Smiley Happy

@stonepixie You are totally on a roll tonight, that's another great point - men can be victims of DV too and like @Chessca_H was saying, women can be victims of DV from other women, and men can be victims of DV from other men. I could go on all night about how important recognising this is (I wrote a fair few papers on DV in lesbian relationships, haha) but I won't! Breaking down the kind of myths and misunderstandings that exist is definitely an essential step forward in dealing with DV.

Unfortunately, for our LGBTI friends, we also have to work towards not only dealing with DV but also dealing with homophobia. If you want the best support for being in an abusive relationship with someone of the same sex, you have to come out and admit that you are in a relationship of the same sex. Sometimes that isn't always an option (ie. your family don't know) and sometimes services or the people in them can be rather unfriendly towards people because of their sexuality.

The best thing you can do is to remain in contact and try to counter-balance the isolation they are currently experiencing. No matter if you feel disappointed or you don't understand why they are staying or not understanding why they are doing what they are doing... Just keep in contact and keep the lines of communications open and most importantly don't judge them and let them know that you don't judge & you respect them.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

It's really great to know that you are all so supportive of victims of abuse, it's a really great start in changing the rates of violence women in Australia suffer 

Campaigns like White Ribbon Day and HeForShe have done important work in recent years around men’s accountability for ending violence – encouraging non-violent men to stand up and speak up. What are the things that young guys can do to end violence, and what are the barriers for them doing it?

Campaigns like White Ribbon Day and HeForShe have done important work in recent years around men’s accountability for ending violence – encouraging non-violent men to stand up and speak up. What are the things that young guys can do to end violence, and what are the barriers for them doing it?

Calling their mates out on it. But then that might isolate them from their friends group, especially if they are just doing it for 'a laugh'.

They can learn about what constitutes as an abusive relationship and become aware of their own actions.

If they see it happening on the streets, voice their concerns

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Re: [CHAT] White Ribbon Day & healthy relationships

We should educate ourselves on DV. Also make sure we don't become abusers ourselves.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@stonepixie Calling out mates when they perpetuate crappy ideas about DV/are abusive is so important, I think it's especially effective to hear it coming from a close friend.

Here's a good one: http://whatmencando.net/

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: [CHAT] White Ribbon Day & healthy relationships

@redhead Totally agree with you, education is key!

Has anyone seen Emma Watson's HeForShe speech ? It came out not too long ago. It's about gender equity, but a part of that is violence against women. I definitely think she hits the nail on the head - violence against women is everyone's issue. It's not just women who are abused or women who might be abused. We all have to stand up and use our voices, like we have tonight.

1.jpg  2.jpg