cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Workin' hard for the money

@Chonty yep I also keep my eye out for sales and markdowns. If something is in my size and marked down, looks great and I'll wear it heaps, I will buy it. Markdowns are awesome! Smiley Very Happy Especially when you save a tonne!

@EloiseRose yep exactly, sales are awesome!

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

What is the best way to improve your savings account:

I've been employed for a long time but sometimes i'll work extra shifts or do overtime and work public holidays. Sometimes i take on cash jobs and i also put extra money every week onto my morgage.

good point @stonepixie, handing over all that cash makes you think "is it worth it?' 

@Bee 

I brought a jumper in the middle of summer for $5 when it would normally be $40+

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Hey guys!

I'm lucky in that I have always been able to save. I have worked at least one job (at one point 3) since I finished school and I have always had a fairly healthy savings account. I DO still live at home so that helps out a lot (I do pay board and buy my own food). But I have always been very money savvy... Some tips:

1. Cook in bulk and freeze - there are heaps of great cheap recipes online that you can triple or double so you can freeze servings for yourself. Then when you come home from a long day you can get one out of the freezer and eat something healthy instead of buying take away on the way home!

2. Every pay check aim to put away 5% or 10% of your pay into a savings account - you generally won't miss 5 or 10% of your pay. And then at the end of the week if you have any money left over put half of it into the other account too. 

3. If you have a credit card, always pay it off as soon as possible - interests SUCKS. I wouldn't recommend getting a credit card if you can't trust yourself... I only got one because I knew I could trust myself!

4. Put away small change into a money box - I collected all my small change over 4 months once and had about $70! So I bought myself something nice.

5. Check the specials on food - wait for things to come up on specials. I've worked in a supermarket for 4 years now and most things come up on special at least once every 4 weeks, so buy in bulk when they come up on special (if you can) and then wait for the next time they come up on special to buy them again. 

@Kel 

Dont you love overtime pay, and hoiday pay!!! makes working retail over christmas that bit easier!!

@stonepixie yep that works. AND SAVING for something ends up being SO MUCH cheaper than those pay off weekly deals you can get nowadays. DO the math and you're paying quite a bit more (#something useful I learnt in Math!)

@mischiefmanaged credit cards are the devil. I've never gotten one because I don't trust myself with one haha. I have had a ridiculous amount of loans though :<

@stonepixie that's the way to go. Oh I bought 2 pairs of trakkies in the middle of winter for less than $3 each! It was an absolute score! They are so warm in these cold days I've had recently!! Thank you for reminding me!

hey @mischiefmanaged  thanks for the awesome advise ill remember that when im shopping next!! every four weeks got it!