cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] YOU can get involved &make a difference

"Empowerment" and "Participation" are some pretty long and dry words to explain a pretty amazing and simple idea which is this: the concept that YOU should be able to have a say in the decisions that affect your life! So this Monday at 8pm we want you to tell us how you would change the world around you. 

Sometimes we might feel powerless as young people and feel we have no voice or sometimes our voices are silenced but it is important for us to speak up and stand up with things like: 

- How the school system works 

- The decisions governments make 

- Your own health and medicare care etc. 

Basically what we are saying is no one is too small to make a difference one step at a time and by participating as a whole we can really shake up the world and a great example is ReachOut. We take that idea pretty seriously and make sure that young people are our partners in designing ReachOut.com, writing content, working the forums an example is the amazing mods! (including myself Smiley Happy)

So come along on Monday 7th of April and tell us how YOU'd like to get involved in the world around you to make a difference in your life, and we'll bring some ideas of our own to share on with you because you can pretty much change the world!! 

In the meantime, watch this cute vid

Re: [CHAT] YOU can get involved &make a difference

Happy Monday awesome people

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session!!! Tonight Myvo and I will be co-faciliating. We are discussing Youth Participation and Empowerment, it might seem dry but it is an important issue and young people need to voice their opinions in important issues that affect us.

We would love to hear your opinions and stories on this topic and hopefully by the end of tonight we will feel empowered to make changes in our own communities and lives. This week is National Youth Week and this is why we decided to hold tonight’s session.

As you all know, it is important to keep to the forum guidelines and have a read if you haven't already and if at any time you need to talk check the emergency tab at the top right.

So to start us off tonight:

What is youth participation and why is it important?  

Hello everyone! Smiley Happy

Wonderful to be chatting about youth participation and empowerment tonight!

To me, it's about having young people getting more involved in practically anything and everything - from community projects to having their say on the bigger issues (i.e. social policy). It's pretty important as the world keeps changing so drastically, we do have to keep up with the times. And what better way to do that is by listening and engaging with youth - we are the people of tomorrow!

Hellloooooo guys, hope everyone is swell this fine evening Smiley Very Happy

Involvement of young people (obvious answer is obvious) annnnd it's important because young people have different priorities to older people, we know what we need/want, what's important to us, rad ideas and plans annnnd (let's face it) we're awesome.

Hey @dreamcatcher ! Thanks for joining us tonight! Yep, I agree with that we do have different priorities to older folk and that we do come up with some fairly epic ideas too 

Aww I like that Myvo we are the people of tomorrow and we should not be silenced. A lady once said to me the only way we can change the future is to reach out to the youth.

Hey @dreamcatcher Smiley Happy welcome welcome haha and yes we are awesome

Feeling empowered and making change is pretty awesome to many of us here on R.O. As young people, what have you participated in that has made you feel incredible to be a part of? 

Feeling empowered and making change is pretty awesome to many of us here on R.O. As young people, what have you participated in that has made you feel incredible to be a part of? 

Well I always get judged for my age so I like to sort of prove people wrong, I have volunteered at a lot of places and being a mod with RO is my bestest achievement and even donating is something I feel incredible about because its helping even in a small way. 

Like @Myvo and @ruenhonx I have done heeaaps of work with ReachOut, it's been a few years now, but it's still such a thrill/rave/blast/yay!

I've also done lots of community work, as well as a heap of stuff within my college. IT'S ALL EXCELLENT. I LOVE VOLUNTEERING AND GETTING INVOLVED YAY.