cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Your inner bully

@tsnyder i agree, I've often shyed away from new challenges because of self-doubts

It does seem like a lot of the negative self talk is around social aspects but maybe that's the more obvious side. I often feel like I can't do what I used to be able to (school, work etc) since I'm always telling myself I'm bound to fail at most things. It's holding me back a lot but that spurs on the self-talk. I wonder if taking a leap of faith wouldn't help somewhat and stop the looping inner bully. 

How does your inner bully let you down?

Probably by saying that there is no point in me trying something new or expressing myself or my opinions because other people will think less of me for it. Comparisons relate to it in a way as well, in the fact that I worry about seeming lesser than other people

I have and it seems for the most part that it's working but there's still times when I notice things that probably aren't quite as bad as I think they are. One of the strategies my counselor has given me is to take another look at what I've seen or I'm hearing and ask "is it defiantly that? Am I certain that it's me or just something else?". Even still it's sometimes hard to shake the thoughts.

It can make me feel inadequate compared to others and tells me I can't achieve things I set me mind to

@Student94  sometimes if you can just do the thing that makes you anxious one time, you can show yourself it's not so bad and that you internal bully's argument is all straw men! 

Hey guys! Made it to one! I'm goong to be pretty absent though, mainly just answering the questions. Sadly my chest has decided to die as well Smiley Sad. Oh and sorry for any spelling mistakes! I'll fix them later if I remember. Smiley Happy

My inner bully is just one of the many thoughts that runs through my head. It is usually curbed by overthinking and analysing. But sometimes it still sits there at the back of my mind... My head gets really busy, I have a, let's call it inner anti-bully voice, that makes everything the inner bully voice says redundant.

It lets me down, well, sometimes after my inner anti-bully has had a go at my inner bully, it sulks off in the corner but instead of being a triumphant victory I'm plagued with worries, he's right, isn't he? (he being my bully, because he is shorter than she) And I'm left feeling sad and lonely because no matter how happy and content I am with myself most people still don't like me, or at least don't give me a chance.

Oh and I love it when new people join at the GR sessions! @JangleBurt ! Hope to see you around!

@tsnyder: I mostly try to practice thought challenging strategies by writing them down when I remember. I'm a bit slack though so I probably need some new ones.

I think my inner bully lets me down because it is my biggest critic and stops me from doing my best, when in reality I think it should be my biggest support and enable me to overcome barriers.

@euka taking a leap of faith sounds like an interesting idea Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@euka I have had a few experiences where I took a leap of faith. Some of them were wild successes, other times I kind of had to go back into it again with different expectations, but all in all it could be worth a try?