cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] alcohol + drugs = ????

Next question?

What is it about alcohol and other drugs that make them so irresistible to teens and young adults? Should more be done to prevent teens from having such easy access to alcohol?

What is it about alcohol and other drugs that make them so irresistible to teens and young adults? Should more be done to prevent teens from having such easy access to alcohol?

I think it might be that it's such a taboo thing. I also think Australians have this facination with being able to party hard! We can get pretty comeptitive when it comes to drinking (I could drink you under the table any day)

I also think there's a few parent's that are a lot more lenient when it comes to giving alcohol to their teenage kids, which I'm not sure is a good thing?

I think for some people it starts out as 'hey, this looks like a cool thing to do'. For some people it's a release, and some people just want to have a good time. It's so easy to abuse though! It's good that schools do a lot to educate kids on the dangers of drugs and alcohol, they could be doing a lot more damage to themselves.

I'm not really sure about the second question - I think teens will always find other ways to drink. It's just what they do! Whether that's a good thing or not I couldn't say (probably not).

For teens, for the first time, I think it is the thrill of doing something illegal, or maybe it is just to get back at their parents for something. After the first time, they like it, so they keep on doing it.

Also, there is a social norm of drinking alcohol at every single party. You are considered anti-social or boring if you do not. Some may have started by peer pressure.

I don't think much can be done to stop teens from having easy access to alcohol. All the measures that have currently been taken haven't really worked and mum tells me that the reason as to why the legal drinking age was lowered to 18 was so as there was less underage drinking.

Perhaps there can be more consequences for those providing alcohol to minors. Maybe undercover police opperations in using underage people at bottle-o's that are notorious for selling to minors or maybe a similar system to what they have at pubs and clubs where your id has to be scanned to gain access.

Just throwing some ideas around. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@chonty - good point about parents giving their kids alcohol. I'm sure some don't mean it to become a harmful thing (just a drink with the cousins at christmas, she'll be right!) but of course there are those parents that go overboard and give their kids anything they want. It can easily become a problem.

@Magga it's true about it being the cool thing to do. What I saw in my highschool was actually this small but really strong upsurge in students that were keeping clean of all drugs and alcohol. I thought that was pretty neat

@stonepixie  - great ideas! I like the undercover cop idea. I think I have a kind of 21 Jump Street thing in my head that isn't quite what you were going for, but doing it at Bottle-Os and such is a good idea. 

The social norm thing is so true - why do you think it's so heavily pushed?

@Chonty wrote:

We can get pretty comeptitive when it comes to drinking (I could drink you under the table any day) 

So true! I once had a drink off with my mates. I won, but had to consume a whole bottle of tequila. And in just writing that, that is what is wrong with todays society. We need to be the best at everything. :/

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@chonty - oh wow, that's really cool! I think we had a group of kids who called themselves 'straight-edge', which is meant to be a kind of anti-drugs anti-alcohol etc. movement, but to my knowledge most of them smoked and drank a lot, so...

Good ideas though @stonepixie!

I know a lot of people would kick up a stink about being carded to get in, but it could lower the rate of buying for underage teens