cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] alcohol + drugs = ????

@Magga well I'm doing a exchange next year so I won't be allowed to go anyway but I do prefer hanging out at home. Clubbing and bars don't really interest me at all.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Neeext question!

What can be done about the dangers of alcohol and drugs? It seems that many people are willing to risk their health and their lives for the sake of fun – is there a way to change this view?

@nightwing - that's awesome, enjoy your exchange! I guess you can try it when you get back. I didn't think I'd be too interested in going out either, and that hasn't really changed Smiley Tongue

What can be done about the dangers of alcohol and drugs? It seems that many people are willing to risk their health and their lives for the sake of fun – is there a way to change this view?

Well raising the drinking age is one idea - I don't personally agree with it, but it's been talked about a fair bit lately. More police, stricter drinking laws, and even changes to the alcohol levels in drinks...as for people's views on drinking, I don't know if we'll ever be able to completely stop people drinking alcohol. There have been some great advertisements recently though, I think people are starting to get the message.

Maybe if we just gave some newley-turned 18 year olds with go-pro's that streamed live? I'm not sure if that would provide a lot of cringe worthy videos or backfire if it was some really awesome-inducing person. I think we have this mentality that needs to be changed, where even if someone does something totally embarrassing and dangerous we applaud them the next day. 

There's freedom us teenagers and young adults can feel when we're intoxicated, and I think we just need to know that there is consequences! 

haha Chonty, great idea! I've seen some seriously embarassing videos on the internet...I bet a collection of the worst ones could deter 18 year olds from drinking so heavily. 

True @Magga

I think the government has been spending more resources towards awareness campaignes, which is fantastic. I also agree that we'll never be able to stop people drinking alcohol, and I'm not sure we should!

Like @Chonty said, having videos of the not-so-great moments of alcohol will show people that it's not all as they see it. Showing it with people their own age, with stuff that they would do. Hopefully people will realise that it is not as good as they all think it is, which is the real problem. 

We need to get media outlets and general conversation around this topic to be on the right side, the side of respectful drinking rather than going all out for a night you won't even remember.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

These are some great ideas guys! Time to move on...

For those of you who have had more experience with substances, what advice would you give to those who haven’t?

@nightwing - very true! There's still a lot of pro-stupid-drinking in the media, it's not helping at all.

Highlighted

For those of you who have had more experience with substances, what advice would you give to those who haven’t?

I've only had a couple of experiences with drugs, and unfortuantely only bad ones haha. But I think generally, with both alcohol and drugs, the best advice is to be with friends and family that you trust. Also moderation is key! And also being in the right frame of mind :]