cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] alcohol + drugs = ????

Quick fact! 1 in 5 Australians over the age of 14 drink at levels that put them at risk of alcohol-related harm. And a statistic! 35% of Australians over the age of 14 have used cannabis one or more times in their life. With this in mind, why do all the government campaigns come off judgemental, preachy & out of touch. We wanna keep it real and talk about the reality: what's fun and what could go wrong...

I remember the first party I went to at 16, promising my mum I wouldn’t drink. Three UDL’s later with I was witness to hook ups, breakups, a fight that involved lots of shouting but no punching, and a very disappointing unwanted first kiss from a guy called ‘Macca’ who was running around doling out ‘free smooches!’.  That tied in with a horrible knack for lying left me grounded for two weeks without internet access (is it bad mum knew no internet would be the worst?) and about a weeks’ worth of gossip for school. All in all it was exciting and new, and just about as scandalous as everyone claimed parties were.

My first experience with drugs was definitely not as fun. At age 17 after a couple of drinks and a cupcake that had ‘hidden extras’ I was oblivious to, I spent a good part of the night hugging the porcelain king wishing the world would stop spinning and thinking my tongue was too big for my mouth. But! Not everyone has bad experiences, right?

Chances are that you’ve been exposed to alcohol or drugs at some stage already in your life. If you haven’t already, maybe you plan on indulging in it sometime in the future. Either way, come join us Monday 16th June at 8pm AEST to have a chat about alcohol and drugs! We’ll give you some pointers on keeping safe and having fun. 

Re: [CHAT] alcohol + drugs = ????

woo hoo!

TONIGHT

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi all! Welcome to tonight’s Getting Real session. I’m Magga, and I’ll be co-facilitating tonight’s session with Chonty! How’s everyone doing?

Tonight we’ll be talking about alcohol and drugs. It’s a big issue for us young people! What makes alcohol so popular, and why do we act stupid when we’ve had too much? What’s the deal with drugs – are they just a harmless bit of fun, or can they have a lasting impact on our health and wellbeing? Why was my friend so unhappy last weekend after those vodka shots? These are the sorts of issues we’ll be chatting about (and many more), so let’s have a good conversation!

First of all, how do you all feel about alcohol and drugs? Have your experiences shaped your opinions?

Don’t forget to keep in mind the guidelines – keep it safe and enjoyable for everyone!

Hellooo everyone! 

First of all, how do you all feel about alcohol and drugs? Have your experiences shaped your opinions?

I have a bit of a love/hate feelings towards alcohol! I think it can be really fun when not over done, but those nights you do over do it on you pay for it, fo sure. Drugs I'm not so keen on, only because I've never had any positive experiences with them.

I think experiences have def influenced my opinionss

Chonty, I agree! Alcohol can be a lot of fun, but go overboard and it could all kinds of consequences. Not just physically - I've done so many stupid things while drunk, it's not good! 
Understandable about drugs. There are a lot of drugs out there that can really mess you up, and those issues can often last a lot longer than just the night you take them. Also not good!

Hey @Magga and @Chonty 

I too have a love/hate relationship with alcohol. At the moment, it is definitely in the love part.

I don't like drugs at all. Partly because of all the research done around them at school and then all the stuff I learnt about them at uni (sorts of things they are made from). Not to mention tv shows. None of which really made an impact about dope. But an experience with an Ex made me swear to never ever touch it.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

So true! I had a friend that used to delete their messages while drinking so they wouldn't have to deal with the awkwardness when she woke up haha. 

Moderation is always key, right?

Personally, I do drink from time to time - it can be lots of fun when you don't go overboard, and it's a great way to loosen up socially. I often find it hard to make the first move when talking to people, so that extra buzz helps!

As for drugs, the little experience I've had has left me with mixed feelings. I'd never do hard drugs, but some of the 'soft' ones can leave you feeling very creative, if you're safe about it. It's a big issue!

Hey @stonepixie, welcome :]

I think schools do a pretty good job at making sure we're well informed of the bad that comes with drugs  

Stonepixie, hi! Welcome to the GR session Smiley Happy

Great response. I really like that you researched this stuff - I think it's a good idea to look into anything you're thinking of trying (whether that be drugs or scuba diving), and you've come to a pretty reasonable conclusion! Nice one Smiley Happy