cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Chat] How to be super when you're not a supermodel

Hey @FluteGirl Smiley Very Happy Welcome!

I completely agree. The feeling of "feeling" good and healthy is so amazing. I now exercise to make myself feel that feeling, rather than to make myself look good. I so agree that our bodies send us messages like that about health... at least that is what I sense too!

How has your body image changed over time? When do you feel good about your body image, or when do you not feel so great?

Just to start off, I'm 15 so you guys are probably a little older than me and high school as you would know is when everyone gives a shit about their appearance, except me apparently.  I'd say from the point of view some of you guys talk about I'm still pale, about average height and probably an ever slightly bigger body size.  Legs as big as horses and average size arms.

From my perspective:  Put on some more fat which is not great but can be worked on, gained more muscle in my arms but still have less than average upper body strength and my legs are still muscly from when I was a baby and used to lift or heavy table with my legs before I could even walk (weird, I know).

I don't really focus on my body image but I'd say I feel good when out on the footy field.  I feel not so good when I've had dinner and my stomach is the size of a football, making me look fatter.

As a photographer, I can say that phones in particular are pretty horrible for making people look good... or anything like how we look to the human eye! There's a reason photo studios have heaps of lights and really big fancy lenses!  It makes me wonder what the impact of phone and crap digital photography is on body image? 

How has your body image changed over time? When do you feel good about your body image, or when do you not feel so great?

Yep my body image has changed heaps over time! I dont really give too much of a crap about how i look now and am content in the body i have it's the only one i've got after all Smiley Happy .

I focus a lot more on what I can do, and my health now. I think this is better, however i still kind of wonder if some of the things that I worried too much about in terms of appearance have transferred over to how healthy I am. So i remind myself every now and again to be grateful for the fact that I am happy healthy and can do the things i love with the body i have and how awesome that actually is Smiley Happy 

I feel good about my body image when i know i have been looking after myself. Especially after the big endorphin rush of an exercise session or a bike ride. I don't feel so good if i eat too many pizzas or drink too much alcohol. 

I have always been this way so it hasn't really changed over time. But I'm not very tall and when I in school I hated that so much, it was one thing I so badly wish m could change instantly. Obviously I've grown and I still think sbout it sometimes but it's not really a huge issue, cause it's not like I can do anything about it
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

It sounds like exercise gives a lot of people that "I feel excellent!" feeling

I'm seeing a lot of other answers about people's insecurities starting during school years, It's definitely not great that that seems to be the trend in most cases Smiley Sad

@j95 I see what you mean when you talk about the gym. I don't go but when I see people with more muscle it can be a bit annoying since that's something I aim to improve.

hey! @FootyFan26 thnks for coming!

i've had so many phases. I had my really skinny and tan phase and now I'm so amazed at how much size I've gained. I used to be able to fit into size 6 jeans easily, now it doesn't go part my knees just because I made a decision to gain healthy weight and tone up as killing myself to be skinny wasn't a healthy lifestyle. Now I love my curves and toned quads, I'm more interested in looking healthy but feminie still. 

I feel good about my body image when i'm eating healthy. Its as if I can see the weight on my when i eat junkfood consistently ( which I think is good because we should be looking after our bodies). So I can justify worrying about my health but not about what people think of the way I look. 

I don't feel so great when I watch Victoria's secret but I know that the superodel body image is unrealistic and I just need to be more positive. 

Yeah it is so crap @Chessca_H. But also it is a reminder that so many people go through this... and we all should be less tough on ourselves Smiley Happy

Hey guys!!!

My body image has been low from puberty onwards I think. I remember when I was my lowest weight (still a healthy weight for my size however the fittest and smallest I've been) and I still had so many things I was unhappy about, and today, when I am over 10kg heavier, I look back and feel so silly for the way I felt about my body back then.
The short answer though, is that my body image has remained constant no matter how fit I am or how unfit I am, so I don't think that it's coming from within, I think it's a lot to do with media and unrealistic expectations. Also, I agree with @chess a_h on having a worse body image in early teen years.
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle