cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chronic illnesses affect all of us

What is a chronic illness in your opinion? How is it different from illness?

I think that illness is something that is shorter lasting were chronic illness is a life time illness which you have to deal with on a daily basis, could effect working, studying everyday life stuff.

Yea, it's that ongoing effect and impact...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

2. Do you know anyone with a chronic illness? What is something you admire about them?

I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has a chronic illness themselves - what you do admire about yourself!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

2. Do you know anyone with a chronic illness? What is something you admire about them?

Yep, I have a few friends with chronic illnesses, and my older sister and mum both have chronic autoimmune disorders. I think the thing I most admire across all the people I know with chronic illnesses is their ability to take their health in their stride. I'm always amazed by their willingness to adjust their lives at times to manage their health - and not get too angry or frustrated about it, but just go with it. 

Do you know anyone with a chronic illness? What is something you admire about them?

Yes, I admire how they still try and fight through each day and live each day and not let there illness get there better of them it's really inspirational to see them be positive about being sick and not being able to do much about it Smiley Happy

Do you know anyone with a chronic illness? What is something you admire about them?

I do, I know a couple of people... One of my closest friends that I'm thinking of I admire the way she keeps herself organised and on top of appointments and medications and eating the right foods - despite that one of her illnesses might make that really hard to do in itself!l.. ANd it means that she continues to live an exciting, creative life and just went on tour with her band in Europe... Amazing!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I think my favourite thing about someone with Chronic Illness is how positive they are when they have every reason to be angry, upset etc for having to deal with a Chronic Illness.
Highlighted

I have met alot of people with a chronic illness - mainly on a professional basis. I am always amazed by their resilence. Alot of people seem to be very accepting of their conditions and what they have to manage.

Personally I have lived with someone who has a chronic illness- my mum. She has suffered with depression for as long as I can remember. I guess what I admire about her is the fact she wakes up and keeps going everyday. I can not even imagine the cloud she describes that hangs over her head day in day out.

@Sophie-RO wrote:

I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has a chronic illness themselves - what you do admire about yourself!

I've had an illness that has required medication/treatment for the last twelve years (more than half my life). I think it's made me much more self aware than a lot of people my age, and I appreciate that I know my limits and what does and doesn't work for me & my health. I admire that I am generally accepting of my health (though I do get frustrated at times when my body & mind can't do what I would like them to). 

I have also seen my friends have their moments of anger and frustration too - and seeing them know that it's OK to have those moments and to let it out and process it so they can move on from it, I admire that.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com