cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Chronic illnesses affect all of us

Considering we may know of some people who suffer a chronic illness it would be good to discuss

What types of chronic illnesses do you know of? E.g. diseases, injuries etc.

Thanks for sharing Gail - love hearing about your insights into how you've been effected for the better

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

LeaLea07 wrote:

I guess the first that comes to mind are physiological diseases or illnesses (anything from asthma to AIDS or cancer), but there's also injuries that cause ongoing issues (RSI, stress fractures etc), mental illness, disabilities...

@LeaLea07 wrote:

Considering we may know of some people who suffer a chronic illness it would be good to discuss

I guess the two distinctions that come to mind are: mental health and physical health - both have chronic illnesses... Depression has been mentioned already in the mental health category, as well as autoimmune disorders in the physical... Chronic pain is one that comes to mind too, and chronic fatigue....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hmm yes Gail that's a good way to think about it

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Cystic Fibrosis - My little 9 yr old niece has this
Depression
Diabetes

Is just a couple I know of.

I guess alot of psychological conditions come to mind - other than depression, but conditions like schitzophrenia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, eating conditions. some of these are treatable and manageable, but some individuals do face a long long battle with such illnesses.

What are some implications that chronic illnesses cause for people?

@Cheekyone wrote:

Chronic illnesses can effect any (or all) areas of people's lives - relationships, employment, finances, living situation, education, what they do with their time, what they can/can't do (physically or psychologically)...

Not being able to work, Relationships, Study, make friends, Be able to just get up and go an do things and be social, Being in and out of hospital.