cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chronic illnesses affect all of us

great suggestions on what implications people may face guys Smiley Happy

Have you guys heard of the spoon theory? Basically it's one woman's analogy for living with a chronic illness and how it impacts on her life.

Basically, someone who has a chronic illness only has a limited amount of energy that they can use up each day. In the spoon theory, spoons are used as a metaphor for that energy - with tasks taking up 'spoons' (like, a shower costs a spoon, going to uni costs two spoons, dinner with friends costs a spoon, etc). For someone with a chronic illness, they only have a certain number of spoons to use each day. Once someone uses up a spoon, it's hard to get that spoon back until the next day. Stuff like getting out of bed, walking, driving etc can use far more energy than someone with a chronic illness might have. 

Essentially, the spoon theory is meant to explain to people that with a chronic illness, there's things you need to be aware of that you mightn't otherwise need to be. You need to make choices about what you can and can't do, within your limits, and while making sure that you're going to have enough spoons left to do the other things you need to do. It makes energy measurable, and it can be a really powerful explanation of what life is like with an ongoing illness.

The full theory is in the link above - it's definitely worth reading. 

Love it Gail I will check it out later Smiley Happy

Oh thanks for sharing about spoon theory - such a great practical way for people to talk about the effects of illness

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Gail thats awesome! I had never heard of it.

Can you suggest some ways/ideas to cope with a chronic illness?

@Cheekyone wrote:

I think it's really important to be aware of your limits and know that sometimes, you may have to compromise things to look after your health. And that's okay - it might be frustrating, but it has to come first. I also think having a good team of treating professionals is super important, especially that they see you as a whole person with a life outside of your illness, and that they're dedicated to working with you to allow you to have the life that you want. And of course, having a good support network who are aware of your situation and supportive is always helpful. I think having all of those things is really important in being able to cope with having a chronic illness.

@Cheekyone wrote:

Hmm well Gail has given us a good one... But also get all the info you can, have people you can talk to - including professionals and friends/family, use online tools...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Searching for support groups e.g. cancer support groups, stroke support groups, vision or hearing impaired, families and carers of people that suffer with a mental illess. These are just some groups I am aware of that may assist in coping with a chronic illness in my local community. Mainly these groups are good because other people who attend may be able to reasonate with what you are going through. Of course everyones experience is different but there is an element of relatedness.

Family and friends are also good support networks to help people deal with a chronic illness, However i think it is important that these people should not be over used in a way to help in someone coping with a chronic illness. Obviously, maintaining these relationships as positive ones is important for other aspects in life and trying to maintain elements of normality.

@Cheekyone wrote:

Also, don't forget to have fun! Having a chronic illness doesn't mean that that is the only thing that defines you or that you can't do the things you want to do. Sure, you need to take it into account, but it doesn't have to stop you from enjoying life.