Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chronic illnesses affect all of us

great reply Gail - of course!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Great suggestions everyone! Alot of people need to learn how to cope with someone experiencing a chronic illness therefore we would like to hear your thoughts on...

How does a chronic illness impact on friends and family?

LeaLea07 wrote:

How does a chronic illness impact on friends and family?

I guess people around someone with a chronic illness might need to adjust their activities every now and then to accomodate for the needs of the person with chronic illness - whether that's cancelling plans, or needing help with something like getting to an appointment. The person with chronic illness might need help with a range of things at times - transport, cooking, finances, etc. 

I think if the people around someone with a chronic illness didn't understand the way that it impacts on someone's life, it would be easy to get frustrated or angry at someone for perhaps not being able to do the things that everyone else is doing. 

I think that - like the spoon theory kind of talks about - friends and family need to be aware of the limited energy/spoons the person has.

Family and friends are an important support - whether your illness is chronic or not... I guess that's what we sign up for as friends! It is important to be aware of your own limits and need for support, as a support person....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What support systems/services are you aware that assist people with chronic illness? How are these services also beneficial for family and friends?

I'd heard about CHiPs before: http://www.rch.org.au/chips/

And the chronic illness peer support network too http://www.chronicillness.org.au/index.php/peer-support-network

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What support systems/services are you aware that assist people with chronic illness? How are these services also beneficial for family and friends?

Centrelink - they may be able to help in financial aspects - applying for a disability support pension.

Facilities offer respite care.

support groups as I mentioned earlier.

I think there is heaps you could look up online too - but always make sure the sites you use are reputable!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Cheekyone wrote:

- Support groups like CHIPS (for people with chronic illnesses) or more illness-specific groups

- Support groups for friends and family (run by state carer services, organisations advocating for illnesses etc)

- Doctors, nurses, hospitals, whatever other treatment professionals there are

- Online resources like the Chronic Illness Alliance with info about chronic illnesses, or illness specific forums

- Centrelink for financial support

Ok, well guys it's been a bit quiet tonight so to finish off, we have found some "FINAL FACTS!" to share before we wrap it up...

" Indigenous Australians experience higher levels of certain chronic conditions than non-Indigenous Australians. In 2004-05, more Indigenous Australians experienced hypertensive disease, other diseases of the heart and circulatory system, asthma, diabetes, arthritis and kidney disease." See Indigenous health.

Are you able to find a "fun fact" on chronic illness and share it too? Cut and paste it below....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com