cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't feed trolls

Cyber bullying is definitely a focus in everyday life, it can occur throughout any form of online communication. This is an issue because once it is up online can be quite difficult to remove, once harassing posts are made, it can be shared very quickly and it can be very hard to catch the cyber bullies as their own identity can be easily hidden online. The government wants to ensure that “harmful content” is removed from social media/networking sites quickly.

It is also very easy for others to get involved on the bullying because nasty comments, posting private or embarrassing photos, or rumour spreading is all a part of cyber bullying. I have been a witness to cyber bullying, simply seeing others on Facebook write nasty things about other people’s photos. There's also the incredibly large scale cyber bullying, with stories of Jessi Slaughter being bullied by numerous people due to a video that was posted by her on YouTube and Amanda Todd, another victim to cyber bullying, showing the extreme consequences of the bullying and harassment that takes place online. 

The current law makes it an offence for a person to use the internet/technology in a way that is threatening, harassing or offensive. The maximum penalty is three years in prison and/or a fine of up to $30,600. If a person uses the internet/technology to threaten to kill or harm a person then the maximum penalty increases to punishment of 7-10 years in prison. One of the things the Government is considering doing is introducing a different offence for under 18 year olds with less serious penalties. 

So tonight on Getting Real we will talk about this as the Australian Government is currently exploring new ways to make sure young people are safe online. We are going to provide a submission to the Government and will use your comments from this discussion as part of our submission. The government has come up with a plan to make sure things are removed quickly, and this will include a process for making complaints about content online, responding to a complaint and then ensuring that content considered offensive/harmful is quickly removed.

Come join us tonight at 8pm AEST as we will ask some of these important questions because who better to ask than young people about issues that affect young people. 

Re: Don't feed trolls

Hello I'm Nath and I'm here with Ruenhonx, I'd like to welcome you all to this GettingReal session. Tonight we are discussing the consultation to the government about online safety for young people.

What are some of the dangers online? What can you do to protect yourself?

If you have not already read our guidelines, please take a couple of minutes to do so. http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/MUST-READ-ReachOut-com-Guidelines/m-p/16#...

Alright, lets get started!!
How would you define a ‘social media/networking site’? Would you include online gaming with chat functionality?

Hi gang! Welcome to another Monday night! Really excited that tonight your answers will help ReachOut.com make a submission to the Australian Government about online safety!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey hey everyone Smiley Happy 

How would you define a ‘social media/networking site’? Would you include online gaming with chat functionality?

Social networking sites are a platform where people can communicate with each other like Twitter, Facebook and too many to mention. I have never done online gaming but if people communicate then yes I would include it. 

Yea I think I would include any place that people can connect and have conversations!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I would personally define it as a social interrelation that is made online, including gaming... Also verbal or nonverbal included

Nice one DimiJ - yea I think it's important that the definition is broad so that people can be protected wherever they are having convos online!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Yes I agree, it is all about connecting and interacting.

If you were in charge, how would you decide whether a piece of content is “harmful” (in terms of online safety)? 

Hey DimiJ, welcome to the conversation!

Good answer, I like it.

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

I usually see social media or a networking site as a kind of digital medium that we use to communicate with each other and gives us many options to connect. And yup, online gaming, I would say counts.