cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Express yourself

Wow, you guys have so many great thoughts, there's so much to read!

So we know how we can express our thoughts but...Are their times when you think that it's unhelpful to express your thoughts? Or is it always important?

@mdugong wrote:

Thanks Sophie and Lightuptheworld! Smiley Happy 

Writing is my escape I guess. 
It's so easy to get lost in what I'm writing.
I just do it for myself Smiley Happy

I agree I feel like writing is an escape for me as well helps to let things out that I am feeling Smiley Happy

@Cheekyone wrote:

@mdugong wrote:

Thanks Sophie and Lightuptheworld! Smiley Happy 

Writing is my escape I guess. 
It's so easy to get lost in what I'm writing.
I just do it for myself Smiley Happy

I agree I feel like writing is an escape for me as well helps to let things out that I am feeling Smiley Happy

Definitely!! Smiley Happy 

Are their times when you think that it's unhelpful to express your thoughts? Or is it always important?

I guess it depends on the situation. There are times when maybe your thoughts aren't exactly what someone wants to hear.. But then, without telling people what you really think, they can sometimes assume and then things can go astray from there.. Just from personal experience

Good question..

I dunno i guess we have to be conscious when we are, particularly when we're talking with others because we don't want to be overpowering or selfish etc. but yeah its still important to share your feelings and lighten the load when your talking.

i suppose if you find a balance and what is good for you and those around you  ?

@Birdeye wrote:
In other countries/cultures questions like 'how are you' are taken more seriously, I wish it was like that here - I think it would be seen as 'wrong' to give anything other than the usual 'I'm fine thanks' type of response.

Hmmm. I think here's still a bit of an 'I'll/they'll be right' mentality in Australia. But yes, it would be good for people to take that sort of question seriously and actually listen. I think it's a matter of finding the right people who will take an interest in how you are.

@faithelise wrote:

Good question..

I dunno i guess we have to be conscious when we are, particularly when we're talking with others because we don't want to be overpowering or selfish etc. but yeah its still important to share your feelings and lighten the load when your talking.

i suppose if you find a balance and what is good for you and those around you  ?

That's a really good point. One of my friends and I call it the two-way street approach. That is I can share what's on my mind as long as I listen to her too.

Hmmm. I think here's still a bit of an 'I'll/they'll be right' mentality in Australia. But yes, it would be good for people to take that sort of question seriously and actually listen. I think it's a matter of finding the right people who will take an interest in how you are.

I agree, does anyone else find it hard to find the right people to talk to and who will take an interest in you?

Highlighted

Have you ever been put on the spot and had something crystal clear in your head but just unable to say it? What happened?

Yep! Very often. Doctors appointments, talking to people at work (e.g. managers), even just talking to friends or family. Often I end up saying something stupid or only saying half of what I wanted to say. I think it makes it extra hard for me because I have a speech problem, I generally "plan" probably more than what others do because I tend to try to avoid words that I know I have trouble pronouncing. So it sucks even more when I don't say what I wanted to say! Especially if I am made to repeat myself and I know I am going to repeat myself in exactly the same way and the person is going to continue looking at me as if I'm completely stupid. I don't like being put on the spot. Although having said that I did debating at high school for five years…

Do you find if you're in a class or group it's suddenly easier when you're in a smaller group within it- even if it's still half the class/group?

Depends on who the people are. If it's a huge group of people who I don't know and I screw up I don't feel as bad as if it's a huge group of people who I DO know and I will see them later or something and consequently feel like an idiot in front of them.

How do you prefer to express what you are thinking? Talking, writing, drawing, singing or something else entirely?

Writing! I much prefer to write. I often give health professionals letters when I am feeling extra vulnerable because I express myself better in them. My psychiatrist often has 6 page letters thrust into his hands at the start of an appointment! I also blog these days, although I often wonder if that's counter-productive!

Hey MM I agree that writing letters to counsellors etc is a lot easier sometimes then saying it! I do that sometime when I have something important to say and I don't know how else to say it.

@mdugong wrote:

Are their times when you think that it's unhelpful to express your thoughts? Or is it always important?

I guess it depends on the situation. There are times when maybe your thoughts aren't exactly what someone wants to hear.. But then, without telling people what you really think, they can sometimes assume and then things can go astray from there.. Just from personal experience

That's true. Sometimes you might have to take a metaphorical step back and consider the impact it could have on the other person and also the message you want to get across. I know I've definitely confused people or gotten into a tight corner from not sharing my thoughts sometimes- I presume that's what you've found too?