cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Express yourself

Sometimes putting thoughts into words or actions can be hard. Ever been put on the spot in class and known exactly what you've wanted to say in your head and just not been able to get in out into words? Sometimes when we are having a disagreement with a friend, partner or family member it can be really hard to get across what's going through your head. Getting out what's inside can be really important and we all do it differently - do you blog or journal? Play a sport or a video game? Play guitar, drums or another instrument? Talk for hours on the phone? Draw or paint? You might even express yourself through the music that you listen to or even how you dress. 

There are so many ways we can communicate to the outside world and it's not always with words - although sometimes when we're thinking about a tough time, words can definitely help. So why does it seem so scary to talk about the hard stuff? Sometimes this might be out of fear of judgement or just not being sure how we're feeling or how to share it. Being able to express our thoughts during difficult times can make a big difference in making sure we get the help that we need. So where might you begin when thinking about expressing yourself to a friend/relative or even a professional? Where do you start?

This Monday 10th Septemer at 8pm AEST we'll be discussing the importance of expressing our thoughts, how we might express them or who we might express them too and the impacts this might have.  So come join us on the ReachOut.com forums and share your thoughts.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Re: Express yourself

Hey everyone and welcome to tonight's Getting Real session on expressing your thoughts. Expressing thoughts can be tough sometimes, especially to other people. So tonight we're going to be discussing how we share our thoughts and what benefits this might have. It will be facilitated by Sophie, Cheekyone and myself.

If you feel upset at all during the discussion remember that there are people you can talk to. See the emergency Help tab in the top right corner of this page (the yellow one). Also keep the Community Guidelines in mind so that we can keep the discussion on track and useful for everyone. Smiley Happy

The first question is: Have you ever been put on the spot and had something crystal clear in your head but just unable to say it? What happened?

Highlighted

Hi everyone!! Looking forward to hearing what's on your mind....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Hey everyone! I look forward to hearing the responses with tonights questions Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey Soph and Cheekyone. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Have you ever been put on the spot and had something crystal clear in your head but just unable to say it? What happened?

This used to happen to me all the time in school and uni... And even now sometimes in public speaking...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Have you ever been put on the spot and had something crystal clear in your head but just unable to say it? What happened?

Yes, I've been asked a question a few times which I didn't want to answer and I knew the answer but I avoided it as much as I could and tried to changed the topic of what was happening. 

Highlighted

@Sophie-RO wrote:

This used to happen to me all the time in school and uni... And even now sometimes in public speaking...

I can definitely identify with this! I used to have trouble in tutorials at uni where I knew what I wanted to say but getting it into words was difficult. I think I just ended up mumbling something before the teacher asked someone else. Rather embarrasing!

Highlighted

Hey guys!

I can't think of anything specific, but like Soph it happens to me a lot at uni. Sometimes I'm just too nervous to say something in case it's wrong. Or in group discussions for assignments I'n scared to say something to disagree in case it doesn't go down top well! It has happened to me help-seeking situations too though, and I have just not said something because I didn't want to have to explain it.

Highlighted

I hate public speaking I had to do a speach not to long ago and I could do it perfect at home and infront of my study mates but once it came in front of the class I totally failed!