cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling burnt out??

Getting Real: Monday 8th of October 2012

Well guys that time of year has come around again. Whether you’re attending school/uni or working, it's usually around this time when we begin to get the early signs of burn out – when we are tired and weary from the year long struggle with exams, assignments or workload, only to be swamped with more assessments with the ‘big bad finals’ looming over our heads. If you're working, there is often a push to get projects finished up by the end of the year or depending where you work it might get really busy as we head towards December. It is in this time that we can easily loose motivation and let the quality of our work and study slide, undoing a lot of good work that we have done throughout the year.

So how do we prevent ourselves from burning out?

It's easy to feel the pressure of a large workload, but unfortunately, it's much harder to take some time out to properly relax, rest and recharge. And, as with most things, it's different for everyone. Some people prefer to take smaller breaks – maybe an hour or two every so often to go for a walk, catch a movie with a friend, or just read a good book. Others prefer to take longer breaks, and for them a few days cleaning the house, or a weekend down the coast, or even a trip overseas works
best. The catch is, it's up to you – only you know what will work best in your situation!

For more information on dealing with exams and studying more effectively to beat the stress have a look at the following pages: Beating Exam Stress and How to Study.

How do we know when we’ve burnt out?

‘Burning out’ is usually associated with extremely low levels of motivation and interest which in turn influence the way we conduct ourselves. This can range from finding it hard to get ourselves out of bed in the morning; sleeping in more frequently; spacing out during class/work; producing poor quality work; skipping classes/work; to missing deadlines. All of which will negatively impact our grades or work and what we’ve worked so hard throughout the year to achieve.

It is important to know when we have reached this state as it not only affects our work but other aspects of our lives will also suffer, be it our mental wellbeing; relationships with other people, work; health and fitness.

Want to learn more about burning out and how to prevent it by taking some 'me' time?
Join us at 8PM AEST, Monday 8th of September, right here on the Reach Out forums!

Hope to see you here!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Feeling burnt out??

Welcome guys to our GR session tonight!!

I know you are all feeling the pressure of exams and assessments so thank you for joining us to talk about exams and assessments! Consider it a break!

We will be discussing burning out with the awesome Sophie, Fosterthepeople and myself. This discussion will be about how we deal with the mounting stress of assessments and exams and what happens when we succumb to it and burn out.

If you  are feeling that the discussion is getting to be all too much take a step take and remember there are people who you can talk to. See the emergency Help tab in the top right corner of this page (the yellow one). Also keep the Community Guidelines in mind so that we can keep the discussion on track and useful for everyone. 

So let’s kick it off with our first question

How are you guys feeling at the moment with your exams and assessments? Are there many and are there any that are particularly stressing you out?

hi everyone! I think we've felt burn out at one time or another

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi everyone & welcome to tonight's discussion.

With exams lurking around the corner BURNING OUT can be a real problem.

Hopefully we'll find some some great tips to combat this common issue.

FTP  

Hey all Smiley Happy

How are you guys feeling at the moment with your exams and assessments? Are there many and are there any that are particularly stressing you out?

I'm feeling super busy (and a bit overwhelmed) with uni at the moment. I've got 6 pieces of assessment due this month and another 2 at the start of next month so it's a been a bit challenging to try and manage it all. The ones that are particularly stressing me are the oral presentations. I had one due today, I've got two more due this week, and another one in a few weeks.

i find there's a tendency for uni's to rush all the assignments at the end of semester which can seriously overwhelm students. 

it takes some serious time management skill to knock off each assessment. 

then they bombard us with dreaded EXAMS !!!
i almost always stay up really really late into the early mornings to get things done.

then feel really tired throughout the day. and after a few days straight ... BURNT OUT

Highlighted

Hey everybody!!! Long time since I've been on here!

Well until today I have been really really stressed because I have been so busy that I hadn't had time to do anything, let alone something worth 40% of my mark that was due two weeks ago... luckily I got an extension till today and I have just finished and now just need to edit it!!

At the moment I'm okay with with my exams and assessments... I'm waiting for the last of my exam results back and I've got one assessment at the moment.
My assessment is stressing me out a bit! I've slowly gotten through it but still have a fair few large questions to do before it's due on Thursday...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@ddSmiley Surpriseduch 6 assignments!

Hope everything went well for the oral presentation you did today. I always find it quite daunting to talk in front of a group of people.

I actually have no assignments due this week but soo many due in the next couple of weeks. I guess this is the calm before the storm.

Hey Bee, DD and AT!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com