cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feeling burnt out??

@FosterThePeople & Machine: Hello Smiley Happy

@Soph: Will remember that and do something positive this week Smiley Happy Planning a relaxful Thursday..

So guys what does being burnt out mean to you? Do you find that it is different from stress ?

Brunt out to me is like not having the energy or stamina to get through tasks I need to. When all I can think about is bed and when procastination gets in the way of doing simple tasks I should - eg sorting out folder and making sure I have enough paper in my folder for the day/week.
Feeling burntout is different from stress, mainly because with feeling burnt out, I really don't feel like doing anything and have no motivation to do anything and could happily sleep all day...
Where as stress afffects my mood making me moody and not too fun to be around, stress plays on my emotions heaps so I can burst into tears easily though feeling burnt out is more eggh go away, it's similar to no motivation - though much worse....

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

hi boom !

you must have been on fire or something with the study Smiley Happy

i guess having no energy means you really did give it a good go and that's a sign of burning out maybe.

iono only you would.
i know i felt like i had no energy after my year 12 exams all i wanted to do was just chill.

Hey guys,

Apologies for the lateness. Atma here and ready to go!

How are you guys feeling at the moment with your exams and assessments? Are there many and are there any that are particularly stressing you out?

Unfortunately my depression has flared out of control this semester, not to mention my anxiety. So I've decided to take some time off, because it's the best thing for me. Luckily this mean no exam/assignment stress. Although all my friends are stressed out!

So guys what does being burnt out mean to you? Do you find that it is different from stress?

I think being burnt out is way different from stress. I consider burning out to be like the end result of constantly being stressed. Like you're working on high energy for so long and eventually you just crash and burn.

I've got tonsil crappiness tonight so sorry if I mispell anything! Pffft crap excuse Atma!

@michine: Yep, I'm not going to have a fun month! Thanks, it actually went better than I expected as I find it pretty daunting too Smiley Happy @Bee: Thanks Bee! Me too Smiley Happy So guys what does being burnt out mean to you? Do you find that it is different from stress ? I think that burnt out is like a worse version of stress. I being stressed is feeling quite overwhelmed and anxious, but I still being able to get your work done, whereas burnout is when you are really demotivated and can't get things done any more because you've already been pushing yourself really hard and you need a break. Sorry about the formatting of my post - my computer's having a bit of a melt down tonight!

@Sophie-RO wrote:
I feel like burn out can be a result of stress... and they are quite different.... For example:
Stress = overengagement
Burnout = disengagement
Stress = Emotions are overreactive
Burnout = Emotions are blunted
Stress = urgency and hyperactivity
Burnout = helplessness and hopelessness
stress = Loss of energy
burnout = Loss of motivation, ideals, and hope
stress = Leads to anxiety disorders
burnout =Leads detachment and depression

etc etc

Awesome way of putting this Sophie!

@Boom: Heeeellooo Smiley Happy

I totally understand it kind of feels as though you've climbed a massive hill only to find another one waiting around the corner!
Just keep in mind to finish strong and not let all the good that you've done over the past year go to waste. your almost there!

@Atma: Thanks for joining us and better late than never :smileytongue:. I think crashing and burning is a great way to describe burning out.

hi Atma !

i might be burning out with so many assessments due over the next couple of weeks i'll make a few spelling errors as well.

all is forgiven in advance Smiley Happy

until this evening and after everyone's input i've realise that burning out is pretty serious and it takes some time to recover.

i guess we need to strike a balance between healthy stress and burning out if there is one. i hope there is !

i really like Soph's description of the differences between stress and burning out Smiley Happy

some really great points that differ stress from burning out everyone. i think we can all appreciate the difference. 

What are some of things that can cause you to be burnt out?

@Sophie-RO wrote:
I feel like burn out can be a result of stress... and they are quite different.... For example:
Stress = overengagement
Burnout = disengagement
Stress = Emotions are overreactive
Burnout = Emotions are blunted
Stress = urgency and hyperactivity
Burnout = helplessness and hopelessness
stress = Loss of energy
burnout = Loss of motivation, ideals, and hope
stress = Leads to anxiety disorders
burnout =Leads detachment and depression

etc etc

I love this Sophie, I think it sums up the differences very well Smiley Happy

But I think sometimes stress isn't always urgent and pushing you to do more, I know with me sometimes stress acts similar to what you've put for burnout...  like I feel hopeless about an assessment and it's all doom and gloom but I get on with it and keep working on it even though I'm having trouble, the stress is what is pushing me... if that makes any sense...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart
Highlighted

What are some of things that can cause you to be burnt out?

I would say anything that takes time for you to complete
-school/uni assignments

-family pressure

-work commitments

-sporting commitments

-even catching up with friends, sometimes you just need to take time to relax, time for yourself