cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GR: ALL ABOUT JOBS! JUNE 3 - 8

This has been such an informative GR to read through! I'm honestly tempted to take notes because the advice and insight shown here is so amazing!!!

@WheresMySquishy i really love the idea of putting down specific examples of how you have shown core skills! That would make those skills really stand out (i am definitely pinching that idea Smiley Tongue)

Now for today's question!

What can you expect at a job interview? What are some good interview techniques?What can you expect in the first few days of beginning a job? 

As someone who tends to be a bit of a mess in interviews, i'm super keen to hear what everyone else thinks and any tips they know! Smiley LOL

I've heard of using the STAR response (which reminds me of Where'smysquishy's technique)

It stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result. and is apparently a really useful way of structuring responses. Particularly ones that start with things like "Describe a time when..." (shudder)

I think the idea is to describe the situation, what task the situation required, what action you took, and the outcome (a fabulous one of course Smiley Wink )
Has anyone ever used this technique? Would love to hear if it's helpful! Smiley Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@ecla34  I use that technique too! I get asked those types of questions a lot in interviews.

What can you expect at a job interview?
Interviewers have asked me about my personality, what I want to get out of the role, why I want to do it, what I am passionate about, my hobbies and my previous experiences. They have also asked me what I would do when faced with particular situations and scenarios. I was once asked some very inappropriate questions about whether there was a history of mental illness in my family and why was I fidgeting uncomfortably. It was a big red flag! An interview is also a chance for you to get to know the people you will potentially be working for and ask them questions as well.

What can you expect in the first few days of beginning a job? 
I believe that a professional organisation should provide some sort of orientation or training in the first few days of the role. If it is a paid position, the training should also be paid. They may also pair you up with a more experienced employee who can show you the ropes or give you a tour of the site. They may also give you a lot of paperwork to sign and go over their policies. They should not throw you into the deep end and make you do tasks without any training.

Once, I arrived on my first day, having been told that someone would be available to train me, only for them to not turn up without any explanation. No one was expecting me or knew who I was. When I complained, the person who hired me just sent me an email telling me that they were going to be in their other office all day and to call if I needed anything. I found it really rude and disrespectful. It was one of the reasons why I ended up quitting.

oh wow @WheresMySquishy ! That's such an inappropriate thing for them to ask! Like you said, such a red flag Smiley Surprised

I'm glad that the STAR technique works in practice, i'll have to remember to use it for my next interview Heart

Today's questions are super important ones. and definitely some things to keep in mind when looking for work or starting a new job!

What are some of your rights at work?

How do you deal with workplace bullying?

and on a different note, how do you balance school (VCE or uni) and work? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

What are some of your rights at work?

• To be respected
  • To feel safe
  • To be paid for the time you put in
  • Not to be discriminated against for your gender, age, sexuality, race, religion or any other personal factor
  • Not to be excluded or bullied
  • To feel valued 
  • To have a voice and be able to have input
  • To be able to bring up issues with management without experiencing adverse consequences

How do you deal with workplace bullying?

Personally, I have a great working relationship with my manager, so I personally feel confident that if ever I were bullied, I could let him know and it would be dealt with effectively and confidentially. However, sometimes I find it easier to address the situation myself and discuss my feelings with the person that has offended me or done me wrong. I recognise that not everyone is in a position to do this, and that I am privileged to have a safe and respectful work environment. 

How do you balance school (VCE or uni) and work?

I worked throughout my HSC, and have had a job for the entirety of uni because it is a great way to take a break from studying while earning some money. Here are my strategies:

• Have boundaries - let management know what days you can and can't work, and don't bend to their pressure if they would like you to work on days when you know you can't. 
  • Take time off - as a casual employee, you are entitled to have days off. If ever I have exams or assignments coming up, I make sure to take the day before they are due off to ensure I can still study and complete uni work to my full capacity.
  • Have an organisational system - I work most weekends and during the week, so I make a list of all the study I need to get done on those days. The level of work I plan to do changes based on how many hours I have to work, and I tick things off as I go.
  • Set realistic goals - On days when I work 9-5, or late into the evening, I don't plan to study, because I know I will be exhausted and won't produce my best work. 

the funny thing is am looking for a job and cant find one!! i dont know what to doSmiley Sad

i have a break for whole 2 months from university and plan to do a job but no idea!! i just hope i get one soonSmiley Sad

Highlighted

@peacock  You're definitely not alone! I know a lot of people who are struggling to find jobs, even volunteering opportunities and internships. I found it really hard to be considered for positions because I was seen as 'too young' and inexperienced. I still struggle with this now.

I hope you find one! It's not the end of the world if you don't though. You can always do courses (there are lots of free ones online) or volunteer work to boost your resume.